10

Slowly walking into the room, I looked around, finding more family and baby pictures of me

I was in such a trance that I didn't even hear them call out my name, not until I felt somebody's hand on my shoulder, making me flinch back.

Only to see that it was Santiago.

"I'm sorry you scared me," I said, catching my breath.

"It's fine, sweetheart. I was saying that you should rest a bit, and then you can go shopping with your brothers, because you didn't really get the chance to take your things with you."

Hearing that, I realized that I had actually forgotten to pack anything with me, not that I had much to pack anyway.

"Sure, that sounds like a good idea."

Saying that, I heard all of them slowly leaving, but not before standing at the doorway and saying,

"Sleep tight, peanut," before closing the door.

As soon as I heard their footsteps leave, I let myself fall onto the bed, and let me tell you that was the softest bed I've had laid on.

It didn't take me long to fall asleep; it was like my body was catching onto the sleep that I've been deprived of for years.

A lot of time went by when I heard someone knocking at my door.

A sleepy "come in" left my mouth.

Still rubbing my eyes, I saw Fernando standing in front of me.

"Sorry to wake you, peanut, but we need to get some clothes today because the shops will close otherwise."

"Sure," I said slowly.

"Great, then just meet us in the dining hall," he said, almost out of the room.

"Wait," I said a bit louder than usual.

"I don't know where the dining hall is, could you just wait two minutes, then we could go together?"

I was sure that he was going to say no because why wouldn't he, but to my surprise, he said,

"Of course, I'll just be outside your room."

"Thank you."

Walking to the bathroom, I looked up to see myself in the mirror, looking like a wreck. My hair hasn't been brushed in three days, and I have been wearing these clothes for four days now. It's a good thing that I don't sweat that much, but I am sure that I stink like a rat because I already look like one.

Washing my face with some soap and putting my greasy hair into a bun, I left, finding Fernando on his phone typing away.

"We can go now," I said quietly, because he hadn't noticed me.

"I'm sorry," he said, putting his phone away.

He walked in front of me, and I slowly limped behind him. It took us 2 minutes to walk to the dining hall.