Chapter 17: Trial

**Timeskip (next morning)**

Ayanokouji is walking to school with Ichihashi and Azuma. They were engaging in small talk, but it seemed that the atmosphere is a strained due to upcoming class trial between their class and Class C. The trio were almost to the school building when Ayanokouji heard someone calling him.

"Ayanokouji-kun!" called Tsube. Ayanokouji turned around and saw Tsube with Shiranami, Minamikata, and Ninomiya.

"Hello, everyone." said Ayanokouji, greeting them. Azuma and Ichihashi were a little surprised by the number of girls that Ayanokouji is acquainted with. There are all of girls that they haven't met yet and we're from different classes. It seemed that Tsube and her group is joining Ayanokouji's group. The atmosphere was kind of awkward as the two groups of girls hadn't really talked to each other. They only have Ayanokouji in common.

"Hey, Tsube-san. That's a guitar, isn't it? Do you play?" asked Ichihashi, eyeing the guitar case that Tsube is carrying.

"Yeah! A little though..." said Tsube.

"I would like to see you play."

"Maybe another time."

"Ah! Okay."

The girls fell into silence as they rapidly approached the school building. Azuma cleared her throat and asked another question.

"By the way, how did you meet Ayanokouji-kun anyways?" asked Azuma.

"Well, it's a long story, but he was around Andou and the swimming club." said Minamikata. Azuma and Ichihashi gave Ayanokouji a curious, but suspicious glance. There's nothing suspicious of a guy seeing a bunch of girls swimming, a totally normal thing and there's no motive at all.

"O-okay..."

"You don't have to say it like that. I just happened to be in the area." said Ayanokouji.

"Okay." said Azuma. It was clear that they didn't believe him, but they decided to ignore it for now. The girls began conversing with each other and clearly Class B's friendliness and happy atmosphere seemed to have spread throughout the group as the Class D girls began chatting along. Ayanokouji noticed that Shiranami was a little quiet during the conversations and didn't join in as much. Ayanokouji knew that she was a quiet girl, but it was a little strange because she seemed almost distracted like there was something weighing in her mind. Shiranami slowly fell backwards into the group and was walking by herself. Seeing that, Ayanokouji slowed his own pace and joined Shiranami.

"Is there something bothering you?" asked Ayanokouji.

"A-Ayanokouji-kun... what are you talking about?" asked Shiranami.

"You look like you have something on your mind."

"Yeah... I do."

"You don't have to share it if you don't want?"

"..."

After several moment of silence, Shiranami spoke up.

"I need some advice on something... It's about Ichinose-san..." said Shiranami, hesitatingly. Ayanokouji realized this is going to be a thorny topic, but it's something that Shiranami must eventually address and there's no running away from it.

"Ichinose? Have you talked to her ever since that incident?" asked Ayanokouji.

"N-No. I-I'm scared."

"Scared?"

"T-Things are little awkward now. I can't just talk or act normal around her. Every time she's near me, I just get nervous and think about that day..."

"Hmm.... what happened if she tried to talk to you?"