Masks

SONG REQUEST FOR THIS CHAPTER: MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT by ELLEY DUHE

1,386 Words

The idea given to me by Anu2004booklover

Classic music plays from the stage as the band strums their instruments, making beautiful melodies echo all throughout the ballroom. I've never really been one for a formal party, having grown up with my friends and going out to parties every weekend, getting drunk, but this isn't for me. This is for my boyfriend to seal the deal of a lifetime for his company.

We haven't been going out for a while, and the time we have spent together wasn't ideal. There is no love in our relationship. It was all arranged by his family when my family needed money and security. We were at our wit's end, and my father got seriously ill, needing major surgery. However, we had no money to spare, so when the opportunity to have quick and easy money came up, I jumped at the chance. Originally, I was only supposed to be a showgirl for him, to flaunt to the papers when he needed a topic of conversation to his name, but then the world got obsessed with the idea of us.

The cold, harsh business owner has found love.

When he saw this and how much people were talking about him, he proposed. Now, I know what you're thinking, I said no. And I would like to say that I did, but then my father fell ill again, and he needed another surgery. So, I said yes and the money went straight to my father's bank account.

Now that you're all caught up, I'll get back to my current situation. I walk around the ballroom, my arm linked to my fiancé's, with black masks covering half of our faces. We are wearing a matching dress and suit, black with skin-tight material on my torso and a flowy skirt at the bottom. My hair is pinned at the top of my head in an elegant bun, small baby hairs covering my forehead. This is the only part of his life that I like, how glamorous his artists make me look.

"Let's get a drink." He pulls me over to the bar.

When we make it there, he leans against the counter, smirking at the women behind it. She has a flirtatious smile on her face as she takes our order, never taking her eyes off of his hand that is outstretched on the counter, his pointer finger blatantly reaching over to hers to touch it. I would get jealous and angry if I cared.

He passes me my drink, already having drank half of his cup talking to the bartender. I turn around from them as they continue to talk, my eyes travelling all around the room. Like a beacon of light standing out in the room, I instantly notice a man on the other end, looking at me like a predator, forcing himself back from catching his prey. Before I can react to him, I see him push up from the couch he was sitting on and begin walking over to us.

"Mr Baron," The man greets, making my boyfriend turn around.

"Yes, and you are?" Zemo asks.

"The man who's about to either make you a millionaire or your company crumble." He reaches up to his mask, pulling it off his face.

"Mr Barnes?" Zemo's face is shocked.

"Yes, Mr Baron." He looks over at me. "And, who are you?"

"This is my girlfriend, Ms-"

"Ms Y/N L/N." Mr Barnes interrupts. "I've done my research, Mr Baron. I know all about your fiancé." He reaches his hand out to me. "It's a pleasure to meet you."

I place my hand in his, allowing him to clasp it and pull it up to his face, kissing the back of my hand. I blush under my mask, happy that it is covering my cheeks so no one can see me like this. I know it's bad, but I've never felt like this with Zemo. I look up at his ocean eyes, sparkling in the candlelight as he smiles down at me. He lets go of my hand, still looking at me with a hungry look.

"Should we discuss our business agreement somewhere private, Mr Barnes?" Zemo suggests.

"If that works for you." He begins walking away. "Before you follow, I always sign my agreements over a bottle of whiskey."

Just before he walks away, he looks over at me, not trying to hide the wink and licking of his lips he does in my direction. I was lucky enough that Zemo was panicking to get the bottle of whiskey for him that he didn't see the action. I would be getting the brunt end of that later if he did. Zemo jumps up from the bar, a bottle in his hand and grabs my arm, pulling me towards him.

"Don't go anywhere." He orders.

Zemo speeds across the room, sitting on the couch beside Mr Barnes. I watch with curiosity as he pulls out a stack of papers from a briefcase, places them on the coffee table in front of them. I can practically smell the fear coming off Zemo from across the room. Either way, he talks his way through it, seeming calm.

Until it isn't.

Suddenly, Mr Barnes jumps from the couch, leaning close to Zemo's face, spitting. Zemo recoils back from him in fear, staying in the same position as Mr Barnes walks away, making his way back to the bar. He pulls out a stool, sits down and huffing. I stand there, awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

"Would you like a drink?" He turns towards me.

"Yes, thank you." I take the seat next to him.

"Mr Barnes clicks his fingers, making the bartender drop what she was doing and rush over to him. She takes my order, quickly making the drink and placing it in front of me. Despite her obvious flirting with my fiancé previously, I nod my head in thanks.

"Thank you for the drink, Mr Barnes. It was very kind of you." I take a sip.

"Please, call me Bucky."

"Bucky?" I raise my eyebrows.

"A nickname I only let a few people call me."

"Oh, I feel so lucky." I smile.

"As you should." He leans closer to me, smiling back.

"Can I ask you something, Bucky?"

"Of course, Y/N." He sips his drink.

"Is there any chance Zemo will get this deal?" I place my drink down.

"Honestly?" He asks. "No."

"No?"

"No." He repeats. "He doesn't make as many sales as he said he did. His company would only put mine six feet under." A smile creeps up on his face. "He's also an arrogant prick."

"Putting it nicely." I laugh.

"Can I ask something, Y/N?"

"Yes."

"Why are you with him?" He asks, seriously. "I don't mean to pry, but I have done my research on both of you. From your background, this type of lifestyle doesn't seem like something you'd want for the rest of your life."

"It's not." I answer, truthfully. "Without sounding selfish, I needed the money." I gulp down my drink. "It's my father. He needed help and I was able to give it to him. I may not like this lifestyle or Zemo, but he delivers what my father needs."

"I'm sorry to hear that." He grabs my hand, holding it.

"Is it my turn to ask a question?" I chuckle.

"Go on then." He smiles.

"What are you doing here?" I whisper. "I know you want this deal, but what are you doing here? I didn't need to do any research to know who you are, James Buchanan Barnes. The big Mafia boss."

"Clever girl." He smiles into his glass. "But, why does it matter that I'm here?"

"What if someone notices you here?"

"Then I'll make sure they leave here not being able to talk."

Despite the danger that radiates off of him, I can't help but feel enticed by him. It's like a magnetic force, pulling me towards him. My head is telling me to run, but my body is telling me to stay. And, all I can hear is the way my legs tighten under the bar at his words.

"Does that scare you?" He asks.

"Yes," I say, breathless. "But, I don't want to run."

"Good," He leans closer to me. "Cause I like you being here."