Lollipop

SONG REQUEST FOR THIS CHAPTER: FRIENDS BY CHASE ATLANTIC

562 Words

(I've just started up a TikTok account for this Wattpad account with the same username. If that interests you, please check it out.)

James is driving us down an empty road towards the compound after a week-long mission. His metal hand grips the steering wheel and the other hand rubs small circles on my upper thigh that's bare because I'm wearing denim shorts. And before you ask, no we're not dating—just friends with benefits.

I watch the world pass by me through the window as I suck on a giant red, circular lollipop. Suddenly, I feel his grasp on my thigh tighten; forcing me to look towards him.

"That's distracting." He says, not making eye contact with me.

"What is?" I ask.

His eyes are still glued to the empty road ahead of us, even after we stop behind a car and get intertwined with the traffic.

"The lollipop in your mouth." His jaw physically clenches.

I place my hand on top of his that tightly holds my thigh and run the back of his palm. Getting his attention, he turns his head towards me and looks me in the eyes.

"That sounds like a you problem, James." 

He pulls the lollipop from my mouth harshly with his metal hand.

"Shut your mouth." He warns.

I watch him put the lollipop in his mouth instead.

"I thought you liked it wide open." I tease.

His eyes flicker to my open mouth as he sucks on my lollipop. He pulls it out of his mouth and stares at me with a clenched jaw, even more, clenched than before.

"I like it filled darling, so how bout I give you something to really suck on." He smirks.

I take the lollipop from his hand and pop it back in my mouth, grabbing his chin with my other hand and forcing him to look at me.

"I promise we can, baby, but the light is green."

He quickly turns his head forwards and grabs the steering wheel, driving through the traffic. We go back to the positions we were in before and sit in a comfortable silence - until he breaks it.

"You could always do it now, sweetheart."

"Yeah? And almost crash the car like last time!"

He snickers at the memories as I stare at him, admiring his laugh. He looks so peaceful and happy. Sensing I'm looking at him, he briefly looks at me.

"What?" He asks.

"Nothing." I whisper.

Still, the silence isn't uncomfortable. I love moments like these - where we can be friends with no problems or sexual tension. I watch him drive down the road and lean on the car door, looking calm. I decided to finally break the silence.

"Meet me in my room after the debriefing. I don't break my promises, baby."

I keep looking out the window but from the corner of my eyes, I see his head whip towards me and smirk. His hand forms a fist and he punches the air, celebrating. I pretend not to notice but can't help the smirk that forms on my face. Even when he's being a huge dork, I find him incredibly attractive. In fact, I find him even more attractive because of it. I love the butterflies he brings to my stomach when he compliments me. I love that he can steal all the air from my lungs when he looks at me, making me feel like I'm flying. It's terrifying but amazing.

Fuck. I think I'm falling for Bucky.

It's my birthday tomorrow, so this is a little birthday present from me. Also, If you liked this Friends with benefits style, please tell me. I would love to write a friends-with-benefits-to-lovers story but would like to know if you are interested in that.