Forty

~Liana~

Eric was watching me with an intensity I could place. But the sight of him eased my tension as my Father and I approached him.

He wasn't smiling.

No, instead, he had a calm expression on his face, as he waited at the alter, the priest stood there with a bright smile on his face.

To Eric's left, stood Quinn and Adam who was waving hysterically at me. He looked like he was about to cry, as I smiled back at him.

And to the far right, where I'd soon be standing, stood Celia, Diana and Norah all dressed in the same gown, holding the prettiest bouquets of pink tulips.

Celia gave me a nod with a gentle smile, as I approached her, admiring the beauty of the hall.

It was truly incredible. The high ceilings, the white and golden decor pieces. It felt like I'd stepped foot into one of Celia's novels.

The windows were large and arched, sunlight pouring in, as I took my place opposite Eric, who had taken my hand from my Father.

The crowd took their seats, as I gently squeezed Eric's hand. I hadn't seen him for days, and the sight of him made flutters erupt in my stomach.

The priest welcomed us all, declaring today's intentions, as Eric held my gaze, still not smiling.

I expected his usual grin, but instead, he leaned down, "You look beautiful as ever, Liana,"

I feel my cheeks heat up, as I smile faintly.

But before I can thank him, he continues.

"I had hoped," he murmurs as the priest calls out to the crowd. "That we can be honest with one another."

I furrow my brows, stiffening.

What was he going on about?

"What?" I whisper, hoping the crowd couldn't see my confusion. I wasn't paying attention to a word the priest was saying.

Instead, my heart hammered in my chest as Eric smirked down at me.

"You wouldn't ever lie to me, would you Liana?" He says, his thumb tracing circles over the skin of my hand.

"...and it is with this, that I ask you, Eric, to repeat after me..." the priest turned to Eric.

But I was struggling to breathe as I watched him.

He knew....or at least, he knew something was off. How could be possibly know?

Or perhaps I was panicking for nothing.

"...through sickness and in health, that I take thee Liana," the priests voice rang in my ears as I forced myself to breathe.

"Through sickness and in health, that I take thee Liana," Eric repeats, watching me with a calculated expression.

"As my lawfully wedded wife." The priest finishes.

Eric pauses, and I feel my blood run cold.

"As my lawfully wedded wife." He finished, and I let out a sigh of relief.

The crowd clapped and cheered as it was my turn next. To repeat the vows. The vows about sticking together, never lying to one another and taking care of each other.

"...through sickness and in health." I repeat, meaning every word.

Eric simply stared at me, looking soulless. Empty, even.

I feel the weight of each word on my tongue.

This was real- it was truly happening.

I glanced around at my family and friends, then to Eric's, before I faced him fully again.