Thirty

~Liana~

"He did what?" Celia hisses as she paces the length of my temporary room at the Darrows Estate.

"He kissed me." I clarify.

The ball was still going on, in fact, my Father was giving a speech just before we left. The two of us had decided to escape for some time.

"But you didn't want to kiss him." She points out. I nod again and she grows furios. "That miserable prick- God, that's disgusting." She rages.

I agree, "I did knee him in the crotch though." I smile slightly as she snorts.

"Thank God you did." She shivers. "Liana, you can't marry him."

"The engagement is done," I gesture to the doorway. Towards the ongoing party beyond.

She shakes her head, "If tonight it any indication, then you'd know this is a mistake, Liana."

I chew on my lower lip, thinking this over.

"I can't just go down there and declare I've changed my mind." I say, exasperated.

"That's exactly what you should do." She crosses her arms stubbornly.

"No one would support it." I sigh, thinking about my Father, mostly.

"Of course people would. I do, for starters. And there's Lucian, right? Oh- and Eric!"

I raise a brow at her, "First name basis with Lord Kierson?"

She goes red, and rolls her eyes.

"He's not so bad." She waves a dismissive hand. "And I saw you both dancing tonight." She grins teasingly.

"It was just a dance." I say defensively. "How close did we look?"

"Very." She says, "Which is probably why half the ballroom was gawking at you both."

My eyes widen, "Really?" I start to panic.

"Well...not everyone. But certainly quite a few. You should have seen Diana's face!" She claps her hands together with a blissful sigh. "She looked like she'd burst with envy."

I snort, "She's the least of my concerns."

"Little Adam was watching," she adds. "He was more excited about you both dancing than I was."

"Adam is a child." I laugh, as she takes a seat beside me on the bed.

"He's a sweetheart," she corrects. "But as I was saying...Owen isn't the man for you."

"I don't think any man, is the man for me at this rate." I mutter and she shoves me slightly.

"Don't be so pessimistic." She scolds. "You just have a tendency to scare them off. That's all."

I give her a suffering look and she purses her lips.

"What about you then?" I ask, "how is your charming young man treating you back in London, whoever he is?"

She grins, "He's wonderful. And I'll tell you more, another day. Right now we need to deal with you and Owen."

There's a knock on my bedroom door, startling us both, when a maid pokes her head into the room.

"Lady Farrow?" She calls. "Your Father has asked me to seek you out. I believe you will be departing soon."

Celia frowns, "Already? That was quick."

I grab her hand, "You'll tell me more in London then?" I tease.

She nods, giving my a quick hug.

"See you back in London." She says before following the maid out.