Eighteen

~Eric~

"What exactly does it look like?" Adam calls from the drawing room.

"I'm not entirely sure. Anything that looks like coordinates or...or a map of sorts." I call back, as I search the dining room.

This morning, I'd sent my family packing to the countryside with a smile and a wave as they all left. It meant I had the Manor to myself. The only other people here, were Adam and William.

I'd given the rest of the staff, time off.

I had two days to find the blasted coordinates, before the house would be filled with prying eyes and ears once more.

I trusted William enough to remain. But no one else.

I was busy, shoving through the cutlery drawers, when the puppy I'd bought, ran into the room.

The dog was growing on me. I'd initially bought it to stop Adams crying. But it was entertaining.

"I can't find anything, Sir." Adam declared as he walked into the dining room, huffing and puffing.

"Keep looking." I grit out, shoving the drawer closed.

Nothing.

But surely it was somewhere here. Within the creators grasp. That's what it had said.

Fredrickson had created this little treasure hunt, so that he could one day retrace his steps and find the rocks, should he ever misplace them.

But he was now dead.

And this hunt for a map, was maddening- but it was for me now.

"More eyes would be helpful." Adam suggests.

"I don't know if you are aware, Adam, but I don't exactly have trust worthy friends to parade around here." I say, tugging off my jacket.

"Miss Liana could help. She's trust worthy, isn't she?" He exclaims, happily.

I pause, "She might be busy."

"We could ask anyway, Sir."

I shoot Adam a suspicious glance.

"Do you know what we're searching for, Adam?" I ask, leaning against the wall.

"Well, erm...we're searching for rocks, that are like gems?" He grimaces. "I don't know, Sir."

"We are looking for diamonds," I say breathlessly. "Diamonds that will save me from this hell I've been thrown into."

He looks utterly lost.

"In a way, you decoding that sheet, will save me, Adam." I say, studying the intelligent boy before me. "And I thank you for that."

He looks stunned, "Me?" His voice I high pitched now.

"Indeed," I push off the wall. "If we pull this off and find what we're looking for, then I can stop running and hiding. And it'd be thanks to you."

I can see the glint of pride in his eyes as he nods firmly, "I will keep looking," he says before clapping in the puppy's direction. "Come on Kelly."

And they're both gone.

Hmm...Kelly. He'd named the dog Kelly, I muse before continuing my search.

It wasn't a bad name for the Dog.

**~~***~~**

"My Lord," William calls as he steps into my Step Fathers old study. "There is someone at the front door."