Five

~Liana~

"I want you on your best behavior." Mother says, as she touches up the cosmetics on my face. "Dance the night away, if you must. In Sir Owens arms of course, no one else's."

I stare blankly at her, in the carriage.

"Ah yes, because God forbid a real man asks me to dance. I'll scream in their face if they dare try to approach me." I tell her and she ignores me as she places my hair over my shoulder.

"Owen doesn't seem so bad." Lucian tells me. "He and I would get along well as brothers, Liana. Don't worry."

I show him a very unlady-like finger, behind Mothers back. He huffs a laugh.

"Enough, Lucian." Mother scolds him, as I grin. "Do not poke fun- this is a serious matter."

Lucian doesn't bother replying as we all get out of the carriage.

The ball tonight was held by Lady Edna, in honour of her daughter coming of age.

So naturally, it was to be a very uneventful ball.

I didn't mind though. Because I enjoyed studying gowns and the design of the ballroom. It was all pleasing to the eyes. I also liked the dancing, if done with the right partner.

We had been to many of Lady Edna's balls before, so it was nothing new. The same arched doorway, large ballroom and high ceilings and columns with an open dance floor.

The design however, was different. Vines lined the columns, and flowers were a light pink and white, to go with Lady Edna's daughters gown.

I believe her name was Sorcha, if I was not mistaken.

I clearly did not follow the colour schemes myself, in my dark vermillion red laced ballgown.

But I knew my colours. And pink was not one of them.

Although, white often suited my complexion. But I often got white dirty too quickly.

We were greeted by Lady Edna and her beaming young girl, who in fact was named Sorcha, before we strolled freely.

It isn't long till I notice Celia and she rushed over, grinning. She wore a pale pink gown, that was loose at the shoulders and her hair was half up, half down.

"There you are- I've been here alone for what seems like a century." She teases, taking my arm in hers.

I grin back, "Good thing I came as fast as I could then. I'm in need of wine."

She laughs, mostly because we weren't allowed to drink wine at all, and then she greets my Mother, before turning her attention on Lucian.

They both hold each others gaze, and Celia's smile drops.

"Hello, Sir Hawthorn." Celia nods coolly.

I almost laugh at her harshness. As children, and even teens, she'd called him by his name. Never Sir Hawthorn, though.

Lucian simply nods his head, eyes narrowed on my dear friend.

"Excuse me." Lucian tells us all, before walking off into a corner of the ballroom were he grabs wine and glares at Celia and I.

"That boy," Mother scowls. "He needs to dance tonight. At least three times." And she marches off towards her son.

Celia and I laugh.

"I hope all the ladies tread on his feet." Celia whispers, earning a snort from me, as we rush towards the food tables.

The music had already begun, and introductions were being made.