Twenty

~Liana~

We could only assume that Gerald had sent his men to Lachlen Reids house to attack us.

How Gerald knew we were headed there, was a mystery to us both, however.

But at least we had the cane.

We'd left a burnt estate and bodies in our wake, but we had done it.

Eric was beginning to realise that I wasn't the average Lady he was used to expecting. But he didn't comment on it.

Neither of us mentioned the deaths. Neither of us seemed rattled by them either.

Instead, we headed to Kierson manner, where Eric led us upstairs to a guest room, and we cleaned ourselves up.

Adam was most likely sleeping, along with the rest of the family.

"You're a violent little thing," Eric muses as he pours himself whiskey.

The both of us were sat before a fire, lounging in chairs, exhausted. The cane rested against the glass table between us. And we were still in our blood soaked clothes.

Eric had rolled up his sleeves, revealing strong veined arms beneath. And I found myself staring, as he drank.

"It was necessary." I say, tearing my gaze away from his hands.

"Who exactly are you, Liana Hawthorn?" His hazel eyes narrow, as if he can't figure me out. "I thought I knew- but you keep surprising me. You're the daughter of a Lord, and yet...you've murdered several men, without batting an eye."

He was more than curious, I realised.

"You know who I am," I almost laugh. "And I helped you tonight," I remind him.

He nods.

"I guess I should thank you," he grins broadly, tilting his head at me.

"You should," I agree as he chuckles.

"Thank you, Liana." He says my name softer than I expected. It sends a thrill through me, to hear him say it.

And after a pause, he adds, "Is it true then?"

At my questioning look, he continues.

"Owen intends to propose."

Right. I had almost forgotten that I'd mentioned that at all.

I nod, "At least I think he does."

Eric runs his thumb over the rim of the glass he holds.

"And you will say yes." It isn't a question.

"I don't know yet." I admit and his gaze flickers back to mine.

I swallow my nerves and say, "I don't want to."

"Then don't."

I laugh slightly, "It isn't that simple."

"Why not?" He looks irritated now.

"Because my Father wants this union. And you may not understand this, my Lord, but I have to do it." I say, exasperated.

"That's ridiculous." Eric laughs now.

I'm inclined to agree with him.

"It is." I say quietly.

"Well, hold off the wedding for a while," he clears his throat. "Until this is all over, at least."

"Because you can't do this without me?" I tease, running my fingers through my tangled hair.

"Precisely." He sits forward now, leaning his forearms on his knees. "Not so ungrateful now, am I?"