Sixteen

~Liana~

I had decided to spend the day out, with Celia and the other girls, after I'd been shaken with Gerald's visit last night.

"I'd love to visit Paris," Norah said as we left Mr Heckles bakery, with sweet cupcakes in our hands.

"What about the southern continent? Venezuela seems like a dream land, from what I've read." Celia chimed in, looping her arm with mine.

"Who would venture to those horrid borders? The people there are uncivilised." Diana said before biting into her cake.

"I'd love to see South America." I agree with Celia as she grins my way.

Not many people knew that Celia's Mother had south American heritage to her. It was why she and Celia looked so beautifully exotic.

"Well, I for one would love to stay exactly where I am." Diana added, nose lifted in the air.

"How dull." Celia almost snorted.

"I am not dull," Diana snapped back.

I didn't understand how she couldn't wish to travel. To see the world. The idea of travelling lit a spark of wonder in me.

"Travelling seems exciting." I admit, eating my own cake, and savouring the vanilla taste of it.

"Do you know what truly is exciting?" Diana asked, "Preforming your duty and becoming a Mother one day."

I audibly let out a suffering groan, "Oh, please. I would rather be thrown in the river Thames, than bare a child any time soon." I shivered at the thought.

Celia and Norah remain silent.

It wasn't that I didn't want children ever. I simply wanted the Father of my children to be the right man.

Owen's scowling face appeared in my mind, and I chewed on my lip, dreading the idea of having that man's child.

"Must you always ruin the mood with talk of marriage and children?" I scowl at Diana who laughs.

"Come now," she moves and takes my hand, dragging me and the other girls into a large florist shop. "I'm in need of a new flower arrangement for my room."

Suddenly glad for the shift in topics, I started to stroll through the shop, admiring the tulips.

They'd always been my favourite flowers. So smooth and pleasant looking, with the best colours I could think of to suit them.

I was busy admiring the bouquets, when I felt a pair of eyes on me.

I turned sharply, to my left, and I saw a young woman rush to hide behind a rack of roses.

How odd.

"Is she...watching you?" Celia whispers to me. I shrug, unsure of what to say as I turn away.

But Celia walked past me, and towards the woman who'd been watching me.

I try not to pry as Celia quietly speaks with her.

"...oh God..." Celia gasps, and she catches my attention as she rushes towards me.

"You need to hear this." Celia grasps my hand and drags me towards the woman.

"What is the matter?" I ask Celia. "Who are you?" I turn to the girl.

"She was watching us," Celia crosses her arms, looking across the store to where Norah and Diana stood, before she continued. "And she has been, ever since we stepped foot into the bakery."