Thirty-seven

~Liana~

It had been an entire day since the trip to the mines.

I hadn't heard a word from Eric, and I wasn't entirely too sure that I would be any time soon either, because the next morning, when I headed downstairs for breakfast, Mother and Lucian were tense.

"What's the matter?" I asked them both, as I walked into the room.

"Your Father wishes to speak with you, Liana." Mother said, not looking me in the eye.

I furrowed my brows as I glanced towards Lucian.

"Why?" I ask them both.

But Lucian got to his feet, "I have a meeting at the University. I shall see you later, Liana."

With that, he's up and leaving the room.

"Mother," I saw wearily.

"I'm sorry, Liana...I tried...I really did try to convince your Father..." she blurts out.

But I'm already leaving the room, heading for my Father's study.

Did he know?

Did he know where I had been yesterday? Or that Eric and I had done unmentionable things together?

Every shocking and unacceptable thing I've ever done, raced through my mind as I approached the door and knocked.

"Come in, Liana." Father called as I walked in.

"Mother said you called for me..." I say quietly.

He looks displeased.

Oh God.

"Take a seat." He says calmly, and I slowly do as he says.

"Is something the matter, Father-"

"-Owen." He says the single name.

I pause, and furrow my brows.

"Owen?" I echoe, confused. "What about him?"

Father's eyes are hard and unamused.

"I don't know what you did to that poor man- enough to scare him away, but it's unacceptable." He snaps, startling me.

"Father," I hesitate. "I didn't do any-"

"-silence!" He slams his hand onto the desk and I flinch, falling silent.

Holy hell, what was going on with him?

"Whatever it is you did, you ruined a prospect of business expansion." He continues speaking, as though his outburst hadn't even occurred.

I nod, silently.

"I do not intend for this to go on, unresolved." He drawls, and I can't hide my confusion. "You will marry. With or without Owen. And it will be with a man I approve of. You'll cooperate, like I know you will."

Horror washed through me, at his words. I couldn't speak. Mostly because I was stunned into silence. Real silence.

My mind went straight to Eric.

I couldn't marry anyone. But this news would ruin whatever we had between us.

"When?" I barley croak out the word.

Father nodded, approvingly.

"In a few days. You'll meet your husband to be." He finally says.

I had escaped Owen, only to soon be shackled to another disgusting edler man, probably.