Fourteen

~Liana~

"...and did you hear about Lady Charlotte? I hear she may be seeing a secret man after dark."

I had been sitting in this Garden gazebo for far too long now, sat in a circle with a few ladies, including Celia.

"A rendezvous, if you will." Lady Diana mused, as she picked up a sandwich from the table.

"That seems romantic," blushed Lady Norah.

"Romantic?" Diana scoffed slightly. "It is scandalous, meeting with an unmarried man, as an unmarried woman- especially in the hours of the night."

I found myself frowning.

I wondered what they'd have to say, about my late night escapedes with Eric Kierson.

And the thought makes me smile slightly. Surely they'd faint- or perhaps choke on their sandwiches.

I catch Celia pursing her lips, as she fiddles with her tea cup.

The both of us had been forced to attend tea this morning, at Lady Diana's home.

The four of us, had known each other since we were young girls. Yet, Celia and I had managed to break off and start a true friendship.

We would have gladly taken Norah along with us, if she wasn't so...shy and quiet.

"I don't know," Celia joins in. "It doesn't seem that scandalous."

I raise a brow at her, impressed.

After all, she had gone to meet a secret someone, late at night that one time.

She notices me giving her a teasing look, and she kicks me under the table, catching me by surprise.

"Do you hear yourself?" Diana asks, her blue eyes wide.

She was a small, petite woman- with beautiful blonde waves, and rosey cheeks. In her pale pink gown, she seemed to have stepped out of a fairytale.

"I'd be inclined to agree with you," I nod at Celia. "I see no problem with friendship between man and woman."

Diana scowls at me, "Who said anything about friendship? If any two people must meet in secrecy, it is for nothing good- and friendship has nothing to do with it, Lady Liana."

I sit up and take a buttered scone.

"What are your thoughts on the matter?" I ask Norah, as she looks startled by my question.

She glances at Diana before speaking.

"I believe it is improper. And that men and women cannot be friends." She seems to be reciting this, as she looks at Diana for approval.

The Lady Norah had a softer look of beauty to her. Her features were not sharp- but more rounded and soft. Her doe eyes made her look like a deer caught in lamp light, and her chestnut brown hair, cropped to her shoulders, suited her well, along with her lilac gown.

And luckily for her, Diana smiles smugly, nodding at her, very much approvingly.

Celia and I share an exasperated look between us.

"Well I guess we are divided in this matter then." Celia says, smiling my way.

"That is silly," Diana insists, clearly done talking about this matter. "My Mother and I have been thinking of holding a ball for Christmas this year, up at our winter cabin home, near the lake."

"Why?" Celia asks, baffled.

"To have a good time during the cold weeks, of course. Keep up Lady Celia." Diana says, and Celia glares at her now.