Chapter 40

The following morning unfolded, ushering in the soft glow of sunlight that bathed our new bedroom in a warm embrace. As I gently opened my eyes, I felt a momentary pang of disappointment, realizing that Daryl was not by my side. Seeking comfort, I inhaled the comforting scent of his pillow, a trace of him lingering even in his absence.

"Shit!" His exclamation from downstairs pulled me from my musings, and I furrowed my brows before slipping into a dressing gown. Descending the steps, a smile tugged at my lips as the rich aroma of chaos and cooking wafted through the air. There he was, standing in the kitchen, waging a battle with scrambled eggs.

"What you got there, Dixon?" I inquired, amusement lacing my words. Casting a sheepish glance over his shoulder, a crimson hue painted his cheeks.

"Oh, ya weren't meant to see this, I wanted to surprise you" he muttered to himself. A small smile broke out onto my face as I plodded my way over to him. He stared at the two cheap china plates on the counter, the plate filled with creamy scrambled eggs and fresh toast.

"Looks pretty good to me." I reassured him softly.

He turned his body to face me, and gently placed his hands either sides of my ribs, his thumb gently caressing me.

"Wanted to say sorry for hurtin' ya feelings. I didn't mean what I said." He shrugged.

"I'm sorry too, we both said mean things to each other." I sadly smiled, inviting a moment of tender connection.

"This place is strange, I don't feel like I belong." He shuffled uncomfortably. My hand raised and found its way to his cheek.

"I'm not going to lie, me too Daryl." This earned a small genuine smile to tease Daryls lip. His hand stroked my head, and he bestowed a gentle kiss on my forehead, signaling a silent truce.

"I just feel guilty for leavin' the others, but I understand how important this cure thang is for ya, for us." His hand stroked my head, and he bestowed a gentle kiss on my forehead, signaling a silent truce. My heart swooned at the thought that he did want a future with me.

"Thank you Daryl, but I won't stand you exploding and saying things you don't mean forever." I scolded him.

"I'll work on it." He muttered, clearly embarrassed by his previous behavior. I pulled away from him and picked up to the plates from the counter.

"Now, let's eat." I smirked and he shot me one back as we mad our way to the dining table.

The shared meal, filled with laughter and the satisfaction of a successful breakfast, set a harmonious tone for the day. As we sat side by side, enjoying the taste, Daryl asked about my work.

"Ya start ya work today?" he asked, his pride and concern evident.

"Yeah, I'm kinda nervous." I told him honestly.

Why?" he queried.

"Because everything is riding on this Dar, and they are making another professor watch my every move, they seem to seriously doubt my abilities and that puts me on edge" I placed my knife and fork together and huffed.

"Ya didn't tell me that." He frowned and picked his plate up.

"You didn't really give me the time yesterday." I mumbled and picked mine up too. We silently walked to the kitchen and put the plates in the sink.

"My bad." He finally spoke. I peered over my shoulder and gave him a brief kiss on the cheek.

"It's okay. I'm gonna go change." I ran up the stairs and threw on a comfortable outfit that consisted of black pants and a navy buttoned shirt. As I made my way downsatirs I was met with Daryl looking lost in thought, as he rested against the kitchen counter.

"Dar?" I raised an eyebrow.

"I was just thinkin' about what ya said." He pushed himself away and approached me, "Be careful, have ya guard up."

The fact that his intuition was now saying the same thing as mine send chills down my spine, I knew how dangerous these people could be.

"Way ahead of you Dixon." I sighed. A small frown was etched on his face and he wrapped his arms around me.

"Good luck darlin'." He gave me a lingering kiss on my neck, prompting a breathless moan.

"Don't be makin' them noises, otherwise ya ain't leavin' to that lab in time," he growled in my ear, eliciting a flutter in my stomach. Playfully turning to face him, I attributed the distraction to his earlier kiss.

"Okay, it's your fault for kissing me," I teased, raising my hand as he sensually sucked on his bottom lip.

"Come on?" He grabbed my butt, and I let out a yelp.

"Dirty Dixon, dirty," I chided, waggling my finger in his face. I couldn't help but giggle at his playful whine about our evening plans.

"We are havin' sex tonight." He stated. I giggled at his bluntness and nodded furiously, I need him desperately.

"I'll see ya later?" he asked, and I nodded as he tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear, leaving a gentle kiss on my forehead.

"Bye," I waved with a wide smile, leaving for work with the echo of his affectionate farewell lingering in the air.

Arriving at the lab, I found Professor Duncan in lab attire and Maggie awaiting me. The pair were sat on the labs stool, with lab equipment spewed out behind them. The older man turned with a surprisingly friendly smile, after yesterday's encounter I thought perhaps he wouldn't present such a smile.

"Ah, Doctor Walsh, very nice to meet you again."

"Likewise," I lied.

"Your assistant has been very good indeed with helping me set up for our experiments," he commended, gesturing towards Maggie, who looked rather uncomfortable.

"I've been reading your notes, and I must say your theory is rather convincing," he chuckled. Equipping myself with a lab coat and safety goggles, I surveyed the equipment.

"Thank you, professor. I'm hoping we could work together on specifically infected individuals?" I proposed, receiving an enthusiastic nod.

"Of course, we already have samples on hand of those who have sadly succumbed to being a walking undead," He smiled. He walked to the end of the room towards the blood storage facility. When the coast was clear Maggie hopped off of her stool and approached me.

"I honestly have never winged something this hard in my life." She said and I laughed.

"Don't worry, with me here, you'll be fine. How's the baby?" I asked, gesturing to her stomach. She patted it with a smile.

"Fine, I think. No worrying symptoms so far," she shrugged.

"Good, now remember to follow my lead," I advised.

Professor Duncan returned with the blood samples in hand.

"Here we are, some samples from the undead and those who are not!" He placed them gently down in their holder, difrentating the two sets of samples.

"What now Doctor?" Professor Duncan quizzed me and I swallowed nervously, I really felt like i was back in med school.

"We should start analyzing the progression of the disease, taking blood samples from different states of corpses and compare them to those who have no died. Then we can see what that has on the body's system."

Professor Duncan gave me a long suspicious look, before he finally relented and a chuckle came from his lips.

"Lead the way, Doctor."