Chapter 15

We returned to the prison by daybreak, and I was still reeling from the harrowing encounter at the abandoned house. Stepping off Daryl's motorcycle, I made my way across the field towards cell block C, my determination to find Rick growing stronger. As I entered the main communal area, the apprehensive gazes of former Woodbury residents fixed on me, their whispers growing. I must have appeared unhinged with Daryl's blood staining my shirt.

"Where's Rick?" I shouted over them, they all gawked at me with worry, before a woman stepped forwards and pointed upstairs.

"He's in the meeting room."

I gave her an appreciative nod and strode up the staircase and along the hallway. I stormed into the meeting room, where Rick was deep in conversation with Carol, Tyreese, Michonne, and Glenn. When I burst in, Rick halted mid-sentence, and the group turned to me, curiosity etched across their faces. I dropped the medicine bag onto the table around which they sat and staggered back a step.

"Alex?" Rick furrowed his brows, seeming confused by my return and pissed off attitude.

"I don't kill the living." I stated and the man held up his hands defensively.

"Alex, what are you talking about? Did you get the medicine?"

"It's in that bag, but we were attacked in the hospital." My voice shook, my bravery cracking.

"By who?" Carol exchanged a worried look to Rick.

"Some men that were from Woodbury that sided with someone called the Governor." The name of the Governor had caused a shocked look amongst those in the room and Ricks face hardened.

"They attacked you?" Tyrone folded his arms.

"Yes, and Daryl had to kill them. I nearly had to kill them."

"Alex I don't understand, if you didn't kill them why are you so upset?" Rick furrowed his brows.

I was going have to tell them the truth.

"Because I made a Hippocratic oath before the walkers; that I wouldn't harm a human life no matter how horrible the person was, I would always try to save them. I made that promise and I refuse to break it for anyone!" My voice cracked and came out as a cry instead. Rick squinted his eyes and Carol gasped.

"You're a doctor? All this time you haven't thought that it was important to tell us?" She barked, anger etched into her face as she shot up from her chair. She took an intimidating step towards me and I took one back away from her.

"If anyone has needed my medical help I have always helped."

"Daryl know about this?" Rick asked in a slow grumbling voice.

"Yes." I whimpered, the tears starting to roll down my face.

"Okay Alex, we won't ask you to do a run again, for a while." Rick said softly, though Carol appeared displeased by this decision.

"Rick-"

"I've made my decision; now go, Alex," He demanded, and I nodded.

"Thank you, sir." I left the room, ignoring the chilling stares I received for revealing my secret.

After sharing my secret with the group, I stepped outside for some fresh air, feeling more trapped than ever. I found myself in a place where I wasn't sure if I was truly accepted, and it weighed heavily on me. My fingers entwined with the mesh fence as I peered out, observing the few walkers lingering in the open field surrounding us.

"What ya mopin' about?" Daryl's voice broke my thoughts. I peeked over my shoulder and saw he had emerged behind me with a cigarette in his mouth. He was laying down some wild flowers on a patch of dirt on the ground, a new grave.