Chapter 5

"Help!" I cried out, my voice echoing through the silent street.

"Please, help!" The sting on my face from the slap caused tears to prick my eyes.

Struggling to shift my position, I felt something hard digging into my side. A quick glance revealed it to be my own gun. An unexpected surge of relief washed over me, and I found myself tilting my head back to laugh at the sky above.

"Thank you." I whispered as I stared at the sky above me.

"Okay."

I manoeuvred onto my knees, grappling with my still-bound hands. Gradually, I rose to my feet, my hands awkwardly tethered behind my back. Our white van in the distance filled me with hope, propelling me forward. Reaching the van, I grabbed the door with my bound hands and pulled it open, only for my gaze to meet the smug face of Merle Dixon.

"Well, Well, Well who do we have here?" He greeted me with a crooked grin, stepping out of the van. I tried to smile in response, but his uneasiness pushed me back a step.

"Alex fucking Walsh." He chuckled, slapping me on the back, causing me to wince in pain.

"How did ya survive this shithole?" He pulled out his knife, and I instinctively flinched which nearly sent me tumbling to the ground.

"Y'all don't need to panic, just was gonna untie ya." He spoke softly holding up his hand. Merle always had a soft spot for me, but that didn't mean he was any less of an asshole.

"Oh okay, thanks." I muttered, blowing a stray lock of hair away from my mouth. He crouched behind me, expertly cutting through the tight rope. I felt the material break, and my hands tingled as they were set free.

Turning around to face him, I secured my grip on the gun, tucking it into my waistband

"Well I best be going, see you around-"

"Now hold on a second." Merle interjected, striding towards me. His grip caught my coat, and I instinctively pulled away, my eyes wide with worry.

"I saved ya ass. Now you're gonna save mine." He let go of me and I looked at him with confusion. Releasing his hold on me, his expression oddly vulnerable, he extended his arm to reveal the fleshy stump that had replaced his left hand.

"Oh my-"

"Yeah it ain't pretty." He scoffed and pushed my back lightly.

"Please don't-"

"You're gonna help me, then I will let ya run off." He threw the van door open and shoved me inside. I grabbed the leather seat so hard that my nails left a dent in it.

Taking his place on the driver's side, he glanced my way as he started the engine.

"I got some shit with me, ya can fix me up with it." He put the car into drive and I cleared my throat as I pointed to the steering wheel.

"Maybe you should let me drive? Seeming as you have one hand." He whipped his head to me and I skittered far away from him so that my back pressed against the metal door. To my surprise he busted out laughing and slapped his dirty knee.

"See why my brother likes you." he chuckled, before shifting into drive. I ignored his comment, gripping the seat as the van lurched forward. Thoughts of my group raced through my mind.

"Wait."  I grabbed his arm, and he glared at me with irritation, shaking me off.

"What?"

"Your brother, your group. They are all back there, we need to find them." I panicked as I stared at the side mirror and saw the bridge we were parked under get smaller and smaller.