TWELVE!

conrad and avalon got back to the house before jeremiah and belly.

avalon went up to her and belly's room to see what she had left at the house last summer.

she gasped, "my lilac bikini!" she held it close, hugging it. "i thought i lost you." she whispered.

she heard someone snort near the door. she jumped and quickly threw the bikini back into the drawer.

"are you seriously talking to your bathing suit?" conrad chuckled.

"psh... no!" she waved her hand and looked away awkwardly.

he laughed again and walked up to her, opening the drawer. "i get why this one's your favorite." he said to her while looking down at the bathing suit.

she looked at him with a slight smirk on her face, which was beginning to turn red.

conrad looked over to her and the two connected eyes. he had that one smirk on his face that drove avalon crazy. they started to lean in closer to one another.

that was until they heard the front door open. "we're back!" jeremiah shouted.

avalon shook her head and quickly backed away. she scratched her head, "we should probably head downstairs." she spoke nervously.

"yeah." he said softly with his eyes still on her.

avalon was the first to make it downstairs. conrad followed slowly behind.

"did you guys go to the store?" she asked jere and belly.

"yep." jere answered. "we also went to see aunt julia." he said, looking directly at conrad.

"how'd that go?" he asked.

"mm, not great." he answered.

conrad nodded as if he knew that was going to be the answer.

"did you talk to dad yet?" jere asked.

conrad hesitated, "not yet."

belly cut in, "i'll go take the groceries inside." she volunteered so that she could leave them alone to talk. avalon took the hint and followed belly inside.

"thanks." jere added.

conrad waited for the girls to get inside before he started talking.

"we actually got you guys donuts. they're on the counter inside." he pointed to the house with his thumb.

jeremiah lowered his eyebrows, "we?"

"yeah, uh, me and av." he scratched the back of his head and looked around.

jeremiah just nodded. "cool, thanks."

all that conrad could think about was that he was almost kissing avalon a few minutes ago. oh how much he wish he had. if jeremiah could get with belly right after she and conrad broke up, he should be able to do the same.

the problem was that he didn't know if he truly had feelings for her again. was he just trying to get back at jere in a way? or make belly jealous?

"hey, listen, um... i want to be there when you talk to dad." jeremiah told him. "i've been better with him lately and once he sees how passionate we are about the house, he'll have to let us use our trusts."

"our trusts?" conrad asked, confused.

"no more doing things alone."

conrad hesitantly agreed, "all right."

back in the house, avalon and belly unloaded the groceries. neither of them had said a word to each other the entire time.

once they finished putting the groceries away, avalon quickly got out of this awkward moment and went into the living room. she took her phone out of her pocket and started scrolling.