FIVE!

"so let me get this straight. your so called 'best friend' got with your ex?" niki asked for clarification.

avalon sighed deeply, "it sure seems that way."

niki just nodded her head and stayed quiet. she didn't want to butt in. although, she was invested at this point, but it wasn't really any of her business.

avalon's nose sniffles and the sound of other cars on the road was all that was heard. niki decided to play some music on low volume. maybe it would lighten the mood, at least a little.

avalon let out a sigh. "i just can't fucking believe this." she sniffled her nose once again. "i mean at least when i fucked conrad, he wasn't belly's ex or something."

niki giggled a little, "exactly."

"i mean seriously," she sat up dramatically, "jeremiah and i were actually a thing. it's not like her and conrad were anything." she ranted.

niki opened her mouth to say something, but avalon wasn't done. "i mean, i admit that it was wrong what i did, i'm not saying that it wasn't. but what the fuck? she treated me horribly after i did that, but now she just did the same fucking thing that she was so pissed at me for!"

avalon had to catch her breath. she put her hand on her chest and took deep breaths. her thoughts were starting to wander off. reminders of jeremiah comforting her during her panic attacks were taking over. luckily, she was able to snap out of it. she slowly opened her eyes. her breathing was slowly getting back to normal.

"are you okay?" niki rested her hand on avalon's shoulder.

"i'm good." she nodded and took another deep breath.

niki dropped avalon off at her house. when she went inside, her mom was sitting on the couch reading a magazine and eating a popsicle.

"hey mom." she spoke quietly. "what are you still doing up?"

"not tired." she responded dryly.

"alright then." she whispered and went upstairs to her room.

avalon changed into comfy clothes and sat on her bed. she faced the ceiling with her hands rested on her stomach.

the hole she was stuck in just got deeper. she was so sick of everything. she had never felt more alone.

the only person that had been there for her was some random stranger she just met. even her family wasn't making her feel loved.

all she wanted was for susannah to be back. she wanted everything to go back to the way it was. unfortunately, that wasn't possible.

all of a sudden, she heard a knock on her bedroom door.

"can i come in?" mateo asked. he sounded upset.

what was he upset about? he was the one that abandoned his sister and his friend tonight.

"i guess." she responded.

he slowly opened the door and peeked in. "hey sis."

she rolled her eyes at him, "don't 'hey sis' me right now."

he sighed and walked into the room, sitting down next to her. "mom fell asleep on the couch downstairs."

"mhm." she mumbled.

he knew she was mad at him, rightfully so. she wouldn't even look at him.

"av, i know i fucked up. can you please just hear me out?" he pleaded.

she groaned, turning onto her side to face him. "talk."

his knees were tucked into his chest. "thank you."