TEN!

the next morning, avalon walked downstairs and found conrad talking to susannah's financial guy. she walked into the kitchen quietly and looked around for snacks. she checked every cabinet and drawer. there was nothing.

she overheard conrad say something to the effect that he can't access his trust without his dad, which was going to be a problem since he and his father were never known for getting along. but he lied to the person on the phone and said otherwise.

while he was hanging up the phone, jeremiah and belly walked into the kitchen.

"morning." said belly.

jeremiah interrupted, "you want to talk about a plan b?"

conrad scratched the back of his head and faced
his brother. "there is no time for a plan b, jere."

"there's no time? come on, dude. your ego can't be that big-" he insulted him.

conrad cut him off, "aunt julia is already here."

"what? since when?" jere asked.

"she got in yesterday. she's at ocean harbor." conrad answered.

"you saw her?" 

"no, but we talked on the phone for like five seconds." he told jeremiah. "it's ironic that she couldn't bother to come to mom's funeral, but she'll take the first flight to sell this place."

"i just don't get it. why? what's the big rush?" jere wondered.

"it doesn't matter, jere! this is serious shit! not a game. now just go back to bed and let me handle this." he ranted before walking away.

jeremiah sat down at the kitchen counter. "he keeps saying he'll deal with it, but he hasn't done shit!" he rubbed his eyes and groaned, "can one of you talk some sense into him? he won't listen to me."

belly and avalon looked at each other with wide eyes. both of them had a history with conrad, and now jeremiah. it was a shock to them both that jeremiah had even asked them to talk with him.

jeremiah looked over to avalon, and she knew immediately that he really only meant her. there's no way he wanted belly to go since they're most likely together.

avalon had her arms crossed while she stared back at him. he didn't even have the balls to ask her to talk to conrad. all he could do was hint it to her. what a cowardly thing to do, she thought.

she laughed in complete disbelief and walked out of the kitchen to find conrad. but she wasn't going to talk to him for jeremiah's sake. she truly wanted to help him.

she found him outside sitting on the front porch steps. he was fidgeting with his fingers.

she sat down beside him and looked straight ahead. the driveway looked weird with only two cars. it felt almost, empty. it had always been a packed house in the summer, until now.

"do you want to go grab some food?" she asked him casually.

he didn't take his eyes off his fidgeting fingers. "i don't have time right now. i need to make some more phone calls." he snapped out of his anxious daze and pulled his phone out of his pocket.

she snatched the phone out of his hands and he immediately started to reach after it.

he kept reaching for it, but she continued moving her hand around. "catch it, and it's yours." she giggled.

as annoyed as he was, he couldn't help but laugh with her. "come on, av!"

he had almost caught the phone which resulted in the impulsive decision to put the phone in her bra.