Thirty-One

Casey walked into the dimly lit living room and watched as Olivia sat with a bag of peas to her left eye. Olivia had blood speckled on her white t-shirt and her fingers were wrapped around a piece of paper.

"Olivia?" Casey asked quietly.

"Please go back to bed," Olivia mumbled, her lips aching as words slipped from them.

"No, Olivia. What happened? Why are you defrosting peas on your eye?" Casey demanded as she moved to turn on the overhead light.

"Please don't... I don't want you to see me like this," Olivia breathed. Casey slowly walked to where Olivia sat before reaching out and touching her cheek.

"Tell me what happened, Olivia. Now," Casey whispered.

Olivia swallowed hard as she dropped the bag of peas onto her lap. She turned to look at her girlfriend as tears slipped from her right eye.

"Rafael got violent when I asked him to sign away his rights. He punched me a handful of times and the cops were called. The bartender pinned him to the ground and a few patrons came over to help me. Rafael was arrested, and I'm pressing charges. This is the information about the report," Olivia spoke as she passed the sheet to Casey. Casey quickly set the paper on the table before grabbing Olivia's hand.

"I'm so sorry," Casey whispered.

"You didn't beat me up, Case."

"No, but I want to adopt your babies so you had to approach him... Liv-"

"You are going to be their legal parent, and getting a little shit kicked out of me is worth it. My kids won't have an abusive person in their lives," Olivia spoke. She stood slowly and held her side as she regained her balance.

"Do you need to go to the hospital?" Casey asked.

"No, I just need to go to bed. C'mon, Case," Olivia spoke, as she reached out to her girlfriend.

///

Even if Rafael was on his second strike for hurting Olivia, he still tried to fight for custody of his daughter. He went through four different attorneys in the hope that someone would support him, but everyone told him he was just wasting money at this point. He was serving his second sentence after assaulting Olivia, and any judge would realize he was a danger to not only Olivia but also little Hadley Isabella.

Calvin was kept in the dark regarding the situation and was told his mother had tripped outside and busted open her lips and gave herself a black eye. If he found out about Rafael attacking Olivia, everyone was certain that Calvin would do anything to make Rafael hurt. He'd find a way, no matter what.

"Hey, Calvin... Can we talk real quick?" Olivia asked many months after the attack. 

"Is everything okay?" Calvin questioned, his face masked with worry for his mother.

"Yeah, everything is okay. I've just been hiding some things from you, and I need to come clean," Olivia replied. She pulled her son onto the sofa before kissing his shoulder-length brown hair. 

"Mom-"

"Momma and I have been in the process of having her adopt you and Hadley," Olivia spoke.

"W-what?"

"Momma loves you and Hadley and wants to legally be your mother. It has been a long time coming, but we have finally reached the point that we are done with the paperwork and just need your permission."

"What about Hadley's sperm donor?" Calvin asked, which sent a painful expression over Olivia's face.

"He's in jail," Olivia spoke.

"No, he got out," Calvin replied.

"He's back in jail, Cal. I asked him to sign his rights away, and he kicked the crap out of me. I had a black eye, bruised ribs, and a busted lip."

"Mom!" Calvin exclaimed, as he went to stand. Olivia quickly pulled him back onto the couch and frowned as she looked at her eldest.

"Everything is okay, baby. I know you are worried, but everything is good. He lost rights to your sister, and we can finally proceed with the adoption. You'll be Calvin Benson-Novak and the baby will be Hadley Benson-Novak. How does that sound?" Olivia asked as she tried to steer the conversation to something happier.

"It sounds like I need to go to his cell and beat him up! How does he think abusing my mother is the right thing to do?! And it's all because he hates me!" Calvin yelled.

Olivia stood when Calvin did and pulled him tightly into her arms. She forced his head to her shoulder and pressed her cheek against his hair.

"Calvin, we have a restraining order against him. He will never come back around. The moment those adoption papers are signed, he'll be banished from our lives. It'll be you, Haddie, Momma, and me. Okay?" Olivia spoke, as she held her son even closer.

Her child may have mostly outgrown his anger, but he'll always have hatred for the man who hurt her. Calvin would always be ready to protect his mother and little sister from the monster who hurt them both.

"I should have been able to prevent this, Mom," Calvin whispered, as his tears soaked into his mother's shirt.

"No, baby. Protecting me isn't your job. I'm the parent and I didn't do a good enough job keeping you and your sister away from this. But it's good now. As long as you approve, you will be adopted in a few weeks."

///

In the last three years, Calvin had been adopted twice. The first time, Olivia saved him from the mess that was Vivian. The second time, he got another mother who loves him to pieces. One that doesn't hate him. 

"You've been quiet all night," Olivia spoke, as she walked into her son's bedroom. Hadley was snuggled into his side as she snored loudly. Today was a big day, so Hadley got away with falling asleep beside her brother.

"This is going to last, right? You and Momma?" Calvin asked. Olivia smiled and nodded as she thought about her girlfriend. She had always been a quiet bisexual, never hinting if she liked girls until she met Casey. Now she was excited to be with the woman she had loved for so very long.

"Yeah, kid. It's going to last," Olivia replied.

"Good... And I'll always be your boy, right? That tight bond we have will never fade?"

"Kid, you made me a mom. Of course, you'll always be my boy," Olivia smiled softly.

Calvin let out a small sigh before grabbing his mother's hand. He was happy that he finally felt totally safe and loved. No matter all the shit that had happened, he still felt like this was the place he belonged and he was meant to have two moms and one annoyingly cute baby sister.

Hey guys, this book is now complete. I was getting bored, so I hope you enjoyed. Thanks!