Thirty

Casey and Olivia's relationship quickly changed from being best friends to being girlfriends. The dynamics in the house didn't change that much, especially since Casey still took care of the kids and Olivia as she did before. They loved each other and the family they worked to keep together. 

"Look at them," Olivia smiled, as she leaned against the kitchen door frame. Standing in the living room were Calvin and Hadley. At thirteen, Calvin was unlike other teenagers. He enjoyed spending time with his moms and his two-year-old baby sister. 

"Hadley dances like you," Casey whispered, her arm wrapped around Olivia's waist. Olivia shook her head, but couldn't help but smile. She was so happy that her partner's teasing couldn't even make her angry.

"So I bounce up and down?" Olivia asked, and Casey laughed softly and nodded.

"Yeah, when you are drunk you do," Casey teased, before placing a light kiss on Olivia's neck. The song changed in the living room to something slower, so Calvin picked up Hadley and swayed with her in his arms.

Hadley smiled at her big brother, her eyes full of love for her favorite person. If Calvin couldn't help put her down for the night, Hadley would cry until her big brother rushed in and read her a story and gave her a big hug.

"Still don't want another one?" Casey asked, her fingers threading with Olivia's fingers.

"If you wanted to carry the next baby, I wouldn't say no. But I won't be carrying another baby. That time in my life was so stressful, and I don't want to experience it again," Olivia replied, as they turned and walked into the kitchen together.

Casey sat down on the island and watched as Olivia made lunch. She was still in awe of the woman who had been her partner for almost two years, and the love she had for her continued to grow by the day.

"Like what you see?" Olivia asked, which caught Casey off guard.

"Huh?"

"You've been staring at me this entire time. Do you like what you see?" Olivia asked again. Casey blushed lightly and nodded her head.

"I do like what I see. Love it, actually. Now, can we talk about something before the kids wanna eat?" Casey questioned.

"Of course. What's on your mind?" Olivia replied as she sat the two plates on the kitchen table before moving to grab the milk from the fridge.

"We've been living as a couple for a few years now... Haddie and Calvin call me mom and I love them just like I love you. So can we talk about the next steps?"

"Next steps?" Olivia asked, as she slowly put the cap back on the milk.

"Marriage?" Casey replied.

"You wanna marry me?"

"Yes, I'd love to marry you. Maybe edge towards me adopting Calvin and Hadley?" Casey asked nervously. She had been thinking about this for a very long time but didn't know how to ask. If Casey wanted to adopt Hadley, Olivia would have to approach Rafael and ask for him to sign his rights away. He had nothing to do with the small girl, but that didn't change the fact he still had rights to her.

Olivia watched her girlfriend for a long moment before nodding slowly.

"I'd love to marry you as well, Case. But I don't know about adopting Hadley."

"I know you'd have to see Rafael, but-"

"Whatcha talking about?" Calvin asked as he carried Hadley into the kitchen. He put his sister in her highchair before sitting in his chair.

"We will discuss that later. Enjoy your lunch. I'm gonna go work on laundry."

///

Olivia sat in the bar she used to drink at with Rafael. She knew that Casey wanted to adopt her kids, but she didn't want to agree until she spoke to her ex-boyfriend. 

"I haven't heard from you in almost three years. How are you?" Rafael asked, as he sat beside Olivia and watched as she pushed a glass of whiskey towards him.

"I'm fine. Uh, how have you been?" Olivia asked nervously. 

"Jail wasn't fun, and I lost my job... So not great," Rafael sighed. He downed his whiskey before turning to face Olivia.

"You wanna know about her, huh?"

"I've seen you out with her a few times, but never got up the nerve to approach you. So yeah, I'd like to know about our daughter," Rafael replied.

Olivia unlocked her phone and showed him a picture of Hadley.

"This is our toddler. Her name is Hadley Isabella, and she is two. Her favorite person is Calvin, and she loves pancakes," Olivia spoke, a smile on her lips as she spoke about her little girl. No matter how hard Hadley's life started, that little girl was always a ball of energy and loved dancing.

"She's beautiful," Rafael whispered.

"She is. Uh, we almost lost her at birth, but she gotten stronger and keeps getting stronger as the days go on. Rafael-"

"Does she know about me?" Rafael asked, and Olivia shook her head.

"No, she doesn't."

"Oh," Rafael breathed.

"Rafael, I'm here to ask your permission for my girlfriend to adopt Haddie."

"Huh? Girlfriend? Liv, I want to be her father-"

"No, that will not happen. You were abusive, and the last thing I want is for her to be exposed to that. You don't deserve our little girl, and that is your fucking fault. So please, just sign away your rights so she can have two moms who love her. Not a father that hates her favorite person and hurts her mother."