Six

Amanda barely parked their SUV when Olivia was already out and sprinting into Calvin's school. She had received a call that Calvin had been attacked on the playground and was injured. Olivia sprinted through the front doors before reaching the office. 

"Slow down, ma'am!" An older woman yelled, as Olivia stopped.

"I'm Sergeant Olivia Benson. I'm Calvin Arliss' guardian. Where is he?" Olivia demanded, as Amanda joined them in the office.

"Oh, uh..." the older woman trailed off.

"Where is my kid?!" Olivia demanded, her voice sharp.

"He's in there," she spoke, pointing at a door that was locked. Olivia wanted to scream and beat the shit out of whoever locked Calvin in that room.

"Unlock it right now!" Olivia yelled. The woman scrambled to her feet and struggled to find the right key. Once she did, she unlocked the door and opened it. Olivia pushed her aside and stepped into the room.

Calvin laid on the floor in the fetal position, blood covering his face and he had his arms wrapped tightly around his body.

"Oh, baby! Calvin, it's Liv. I'm here," Olivia cooed, as she knelt down beside him and gently caressed his hair.

"L-liv?" He struggled to speak.

"Yeah, buddy. It's me. Amanda and I are going to take you to the hospital. Can you stand, or should I carry you?" Olivia asked, as tears streamed down her cheeks.

"I hurt," He whimpered, and Olivia nodded. She carefully took the boy into her arms before standing and carrying him from the room.

"You can't just-" The woman started, but Olivia's angry look got her to shut her mouth.

"Amanda, call the rest of the crew. We are investigating this. Look at the cameras on the playground and find the boys that beat the shit out of this boy. Do you understand me?" Olivia ordered, as Calvin wrapped one of his arms around her neck.

"Understood, Sergeant."

///

Olivia paced the ER waiting room as she waited for an update on Calvin. He had been in so much pain on the ride that she didn't know if he'd be awake when they arrived. She was sure he'd pass out from the pain.

"Sergeant Benson! What happened?" Tiffany asked, as she sped walked towards Olivia. She stopped pacing and gestured to the blood on her clothes. 

"The boys that have been picking on Calvin since his first day beat the shit out of him today. Are you sure you still want him to attend that school?" Olivia snapped, as anger boiled deep down.

"Ms. Benson-"

"Tiffany, he was covered in blood and they locked him in a room! I don't want him going there anymore, and I will take this to a judge if you keep fighting me on it! My kid is so in so much pain!" Olivia yelled.

Tiffany swallowed hard before nodding slowly. She looked around the room before pointing at the nurse's station.

"Have they given you an update?" Tiffany asked. Olivia rolled her eyes, but shock her head.

"No, they haven't. All I know is that his nose is broken and was gushing blood," Olivia replied weakly.

"Are you investigating this?"

"I already have my detectives on it... We need to get these boys for what they did to Calvin. He's so much smaller and can't protect himself."

"Okay. Let me ask to see if they have an update on Calvin."

It was another hour before a doctor came out. He walked straight to Olivia and gave her a small smile.

"Calvin is going to be okay. He's injured, but he'll make a full recovery."

"What's wrong with him?" Tiffany asked. The doctor looked at her before giving Olivia a questioning look.

"I'm Calvin's guardian. This is Tiffany Owens, his caseworker. But what she asked... What is wrong?"

"Calvin has a broken nose, his right arm has a clean break, and he has a few fractured ribs. We are going to do an ultrasound on his belly because it's distended."

"Can I see him?" Olivia asked.

"Let us finish up with him, and before we take him in to set his arm, I'll call you in. Okay?"

///

Calvin refused to speak to Tiffany when she and Olivia walked into his room. All he wanted was Olivia, and he held on tightly to her hand with his good arm. Olivia caress his hair and whispered to him. After all the crap they had gone through during the last few weeks, Olivia made sure to tell Calvin how much she cared about him, but left out the 'I love you' part since she wasn't ready and he wasn't either.

"When can I go home?" Calvin asked, his eyes still locked on Olivia's face.

"It's going to be a bit, baby. You have a lot of injuries, and the doctor thinks you have bleeding in your belly. So we might have to make the hospital our home for a while," Olivia spoke gently.

"I miss my bed," Calvin yawned, before wincing from pain. 

"I know, but we will both be home in no time. Once you are out of surgery, some of my detectives are going to come up and see you. We need to know exactly what happened today at recess. Do you think that you'll be able to tell us?" Olivia asked, and Calvin nodded slowly.

"I don't think I'll ever be able to forget what happened today, Livvie. They hate me but won't tell me why," He sniffled.

"Olivia is going to work on finding you a new school for next term. I think it would be wise if you finish this year off at home. How does that sound?" Tiffany asked, trying to make up for her poor decisions.

Calvin turned to look at her before frowning deeply.

"If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't have gotten my ass kick," He grumbled.