Ten

About a month after his attack, Calvin was feeling a little more like himself. He still was sore, but his arm was almost completely healed and his external stitches were removed. Vivian was still in jail, and a lot was happening regarding Calvin's custody.

"Why don't you sit here and work on your homework? I can double check your math before you submit it," Olivia spoke, as she led Calvin into an interview room.

"Do I have to work on homework? Can't I play a game or something?" Calvin asked, as he opened the laptop he was using for classes.

"Kid, you are very behind. Work on homework today, and tonight we can play video games. Okay?"

"I guess," Calvin sighed.

Olivia left him in the interview room before trudging back to her office. Today was her first day back after Calvin's attack and his attempted kidnapping, so she wasn't super excited to be away from Calvin. If he wasn't in her line of sight, she still got anxious that he had been taken from her again.

"Do you want to review any of this material before we send it to storage?" Fin asked, as he closed up an evidence box.

"What?" Olivia asked, as she stopped by her open office door.

"Well, since all of those boys got time in juvi, Calvin's case is closed. So do you want to look over any of this, or should I just take it to be filed away?" Fin replied. Olivia looked at the large box before taking a shaky breath.

She wanted to review all the work her detectives did in her absence, but she'd never be able to get past what happened if she kept going back to that time.

"I'm okay... Please take it down to storage, and come back to work on paperwork," Olivia replied. Fin grumbled something about hating paperwork before sealing the box and walking out.

///

That afternoon, Olivia was checking Calvin's homework before he submitted it, when Tiffany showed up. She knocked on the interview room's window and motioned for Olivia to join her in the hall. 

"Hey, Tiffany. Is everything okay?" Olivia questioned.

"I think? Have you thought about adopting Calvin?" Tiffany asked. Olivia looked at her for a long moment before shrugging.

"I don't think I've thought about adopting him... I care about this kid a lot, and honestly, I love him. But why are you asking me this?"

Tiffany looked into the room and saw that Calvin was watching them quietly. Tiffany turned back to Olivia and smiled softly.

"Vivian is sober now and realizes what she did was wrong. These were delivered this morning," Tiffany replied. She passed a large orange envelope to Olivia and watched as she read the forms. 

"She gave him up?" Olivia whispered as tears burned her eyes. Tiffany nodded slowly, a weak frown growing on her lips.

"Vivian no longer has rights to Calvin, so he is all yours. You can adopt him now if you'd like. There will be a waiting period before we can process the paperwork, about six months starting from today. Then you can submit the paperwork and the courts will take it from there."

Olivia swallowed hard as she brushed a shaky hand across her cheek.

"I have to talk to Calvin about this, and my boyfriend... Do I have a deadline to give you an answer?" 

"Take your time. Give me a call when you have an answer and I'll start the clock."

///

Rafael sat in Olivia's living room as she tucked Calvin in for the night. Olivia hadn't asked Calvin if he wanted to be adopted yet, but planned on asking him in the morning. To start, she wanted to see what Rafael thought since they were in this together. 

"Is he already asleep?" Rafael breathed as Olivia walked from Calvin's room and shut the door.

"No, but he will be soon. Do you want some wine?"

"Sure, I'll take a glass," Rafael smiled. 

Olivia poured wine into two glasses before moving back to the sofa. She sat right next to Rafael, and passed him the glass.

"So I have something serious to discuss. It's life changing actually," Olivia breathed, before taking a long sip. Rafael rested his hand on her upper thigh before stroking it with his thumb.

"Talk to me, Liv. Whatever is happening, we can discuss it and figure things out," Rafael whispered.

Olivia took a shaky breath before explaining what had happened today. Her voice shook as she talked about adoption and the love she had for Calvin. She had never felt maternal towards anyone until she met Calvin, and now she had the opportunity to be his mother. 

"Do you want to adopt him?" Rafael asked.

"I kinda want to, but I'm not sure."

"Why aren't you sure?" Rafael questioned.

"Because our relationship is still new and I don't want to push you away, and I don't even know if Calvin wants to be my son. I haven't been the best mother figure to him in the last few months, and I'm worried that I'll continue to suck at being a mother if I adopt him," Olivia sighed. 

Rafael looked at Olivia for a long moment before leaning close and kissing her lips. As he leaned back, an enormous smile grew on his lips.

"We aren't getting any younger, Liv. If you want to adopt Calvin and be his mother, then I don't see that as an issue at all. I know, and you've told me, that you love and care about him. He has had a shitty life, and maybe you and I can make his life better. You would make an amazing mother to him, and maybe this is the step in the right direction for us to have a bigger family in the future," Rafael breathed.

Olivia blushed at the thought of starting a family with Rafael. At the beginning of this year, she didn't know if she and Rafael would change from just flirting to actually being together. Now she had a boyfriend and a little boy that meant the world to her. 

"So, are you on board with me adopting Calvin?"

"Of course I'm on board, Liv. So what's the next step?" Rafael asked.

"I've got to ask Calvin if he wants to be my kid..."