Nine

They released Calvin five days after he was beaten up at school. He still was in pain, but was on the mend and was doing pretty good mentally. Olivia spent all of her time at the hospital with Calvin, while Rafael went back and forth between the hospital and the precinct to bring Olivia news on the case.

"You can lean on me if you need too," Olivia spoke, as she helped Calvin up the stairs and to their apartment. 

"I'm okay," He replied softly, before wincing as he stepped out of the way to let someone pass them. Calvin grabbed Olivia's hand and squeezed it tightly as they stopped on a landing.

"Calvin, tell me what you need," Olivia breathed as she looked down at him. He took a shaky breath before looking up at her.

"Can you carry me the rest of the way? I'm sorry-"

"It's okay. I'm a cop, so I'm like super strong," Olivia grinned. Calvin gave her a lopsided smile before reaching out to her. 

Once upstairs, Olivia put Calvin down on the sofa and then went to get him his medicine. She was just passing him a pill and a glass of water, when there was a knock on the door. 

"Did you invite someone over?" Olivia teased.

"Remember, no one likes me. It's probably one of those weirdos you know," Calvin shot back. Olivia laughed as she opened the door. Her laugh cut off suddenly, and she felt like she had been kicked in the gut.

"V-vivian," Olivia whispered, as tears burned her eyes.

"Olivia. Where's my kid?" Vivian slurred slightly. 

"He's in the living room. But Vivian-"

"He got hurt because of you. Step aside," Vivian replied with a hiccup. Olivia could smell whiskey on her breath, so she stood her ground. 

"No."

"Olivia-"

"Mom?" Calvin whispered, as he pushed himself up on the sofa. He could just barely see his mother over the back of the sofa. He didn't feel as happy as he thought he would.

"Calvin, we are leaving. C'mon."

"No, you aren't taking him, Vivian. You are clearly intoxicated, and I won't let you just take him from me. It doesn't work like that after you sign him over to me. You have to go through the proper-" Olivia's voice cut off again when Vivian punched her in the throat.

Olivia gasped and held her throat as Vivian pushed her to the side and stumbled into the apartment.

"Get up now! We gotta go!"

///

Vivian didn't get far with Calvin. Tiffany had come over to check on the little boy, and was able to call the police when she saw Vivian stumbling from the building with her weak little boy held tightly by his broken arm.

"Calvin," Olivia breathed, as Tiffany led him upstairs. Olivia quickly stepped forward and hugged him closely, and Calvin buried his face in Olivia's shoulder.

"I didn't want to go, Liv! She had a knife and poked me with it! She could have killed me!" Calvin whimpered.

"I'm sorry that I couldn't get to you... I couldn't breathe," Olivia frowned, before kissing the top of his head. They stood in that embrace for a while, before Tiffany spoke.

"Olivia, can I talk to you about what happened?"

"Yes, of course. Calvin, did you end up taking your medicine?"

"Yeah... can I go lay down in my room?"

"Go get comfy, buddy. I'll check on you soon," Olivia replied.

Once Calvin's door shut, Olivia started to cry as she turned to face Tiffany. The younger woman frowned and stepped forward to hug Olivia.

"You were injured and couldn't prevent what happened. Vivian wouldn't have gotten far even if I wasn't down there because she stumbling all over the place. The cops are taking her in, and what she did is kidnapping," Tiffany explained.

"K-kidnapping? I know she can't just take Calvin from me, but I'm just his guardian. Vivian is his mother," Olivia whispered, as she stepped back and rubbed the tears from her cheeks.

"She doesn't have rights to him right now, so trying to forcefully take him is kidnapping. Now, do you know of anyone else that could try to grab Calvin?"

"He has a father, but he's in jail. His paternal grandparents don't want anything to do with him, and his maternal grandmother is dead. So unless Vivian has friends that are as crazy as her, I think we are safe."

"Good. I'm going to come over and talk to Calvin tomorrow. Take care," Tiffany spoke, before turning and leaving. Olivia rushed to the door and locked it before sliding the chain into place.

She wouldn't sleep tonight because she's too scared that Calvin would be taken from her again.

///

Olivia was awake all night, her service weapon resting in her lap. She would doze off for a few moments, then wake to any noise. By eight the next morning, Olivia was scared when her phone rang. She jumped and aimed her gun at the door, before realizing where the noise was coming from. Olivia grabbed her phone and answered it as she went to lock her gun away.

"Benson."

"Hey, baby. Uh, it's Rafa."

"Rafael, it's so good to hear your voice."

"Is everything okay? You don't sound good," Rafael replied.

"Vivian tried to kidnap Calvin last night. She punched me in the throat and I couldn't stop her," Olivia whispered, as tears burned her eyes once again.

"He's with you now?! Like she didn't get away with him!?" Rafael asked rapidly.

"He's sleeping in his room, but I was so scared. I'm still so scared," Olivia whimpered.

"Do you-"

"I need you Rafael. Can you come over right now? I just... I need someone else here because every sound freaks me out," Olivia whimpered. Rafael was silent for a moment before Olivia heard the jingle of keys on his side of the call.

"I'm going to pick up breakfast and then be over. Do you want me to call you when I get there, or is it okay if I come and knock on the door?"

"Call me, please... I love you, Rafa," Olivia whispered.

"I love you too, honey. I'll see you and your boy soon."