15

He threw away the paper in the trash can for the seventh time ever since he sat on the table in the corner of his room, not being able to come up with perfect words. 

Getting up from the chair, he walked out of his room, walking up to the terrace as he sought for some silence, his own thoughts felt like they were creating a havoc in his head.

Expecting the terrace to be empty, he sighed when he saw a shadow of another presence on the sofas present in the corner.

Walking closer, he saw Amrit, too deep in his thoughts to notice his presence as he had his eyes closed, clearing his throat, Mihir took a seat adjacent to Amrit, keeping his feet on the table.

"What brings you here?" Amrit was the first one to break the silence.

"Have you ever...written a letter?" He asked.

"Umhmm."

"How do you do it? Imagine you want to gift something to bhabi...clothes, what would you write in the letter?" He asked further.

"Are you writing a letter for her?" Amrit asked, his eyes narrowing slightly with the question.

"That was an example." Mihir rolled his eyes, "Imagine bola wo nahi suna?"
(You didn't hear me say 'imagine'?)

"I would just...write whatever that comes to my mind?" Amrit replied, "Why do you wanna know?" He asked, "Got something for Madira?"

"Why are you here? Shouldn't you be doing your favourite thing?" Mihir asked.

"My favourite thing?"

"Bhabi se chipakna?" He shrugged.
(Sticking to bhabi)

"Worry about your letter," Amrit replied, leaning backwards.

"Did you argue?" He asked.

"No."

"You drank her lemonade?"

"No."

"You threw away her plushie?" He questioned further, imagining the reason why he wasn't with his wife but on the terrace alone.

"No."

"What is it then?" A scowl appeared on Mihir's face as he asked.

"I'm just...thinking." Amrit shrugged, "I'm going to be a father and it's... terrifying. I'm happy but I'm scared too." He admitted, "What if I end up being a bad father?"

"Why so negative?" Mihir frowned, "I'll keep you on your track, don't worry, my niece or nephew, is going to have the best father and the bestest chachu." He replied.

"You don't get it." Amrit shook his head.

"Maybe I don't...but don't you think you're overthinking?" He asked.

"I don't know. Roop...well she's very happy about the baby and...I'm just scared of the future. A baby is a big responsibility, and things will change between us, you know she's been having mild mood swings, they'll get worse as time progresses and I want to be there for her, I have to tell myself that it's not her fault and I have to learn to be as patient as I could be with her." Amrit replied, a sigh leaving his mouth by the end of the sentence.

"Why do you think things with change between you both?" Mihir asked, confused by the statement.

"It's not going to be just me and her anymore, we're bringing a new life between us Mihir, we'll have to be stronger and more understanding with each other, raising a baby is not as easy as it seems." He replied, "I've been reading a few books and it's very overwhelming."