Chapter Twenty-Seven

DANTE

‘We can’t transform, Annalise. No one knows my family is here. They must not find out either. We’ll need to battle hand to hand with the wolves out there. Do you think you could manage this? I’ve seen you during practice, but fighting shapeshifters is…,’

‘My father taught me himself how to battle werewolves in human form, and he has never shown me mercy. He has been instructing me for over two years now. Don’t worry. I can take care of myself. Dante, they aren’t approaching us. You have mind-reader capabilities. Can’t you take in what they are thinking?’

‘Bonnie (beautiful), think about that for a moment. If I’m speaking to you telepathically, how am I to observe others?’

Annalise glared at me and then turned her body away from mine so we could survey the area and not be taken aback by any of our unwelcome visitors. My mind-reader capabilities are ineffective due to there being an abundance of them, and I am only seventeen years old. My father could pull this off effortlessly with no issues. Where the hell is everyone, and why is it taking the pack warriors so long to arrive on the scene?

I reach out to my father, then train my eyes on twelve wolves in the area. ‘How many can you see in your direction, Annalise?’

‘Fifteen. They appear to be waiting for orders from someone. Their eyes are glazed over. They must be communicating through a mind link.’

Suddenly, a massive wolf that looks strikingly similar to my father’s wolf, Galith, appears on top of the mountain and then bounds down the treacherous landscape. He comes to a skidding halt once he is a couple of yards away from Annalise and me. Within mere moments, he’s transformed into a man that could pass as my father’s identical twin. He has battle scars across his chest and his eyes are blue instead of green, like my fathers.

“The elusive prince of werewolves, I see. My offspring should receive the crown. Alas, my mate could not join me. That twit behind you took her from me. Gabriel found his mate before me and they made me to step down. I was looking forward to her arrival and my love and I were to procreate an heir and seize the throne.”

“I have no knowledge of what you are mentioning.”

“My entire family has chosen not to mention me. I’m your uncle Gregor, your father’s twin brother. I was the firstborn and was to inherit the throne. What brings you here, boy?”

I remain silent and hold on to Annalise’s hands for reassurance. I had no prior knowledge of the individual and the thirty werewolves, who are starting to look more and more like rogues, are making my heart pound. I think of Annalise, and everything I can beyond home, because this man can’t possibly know who I am. How did they make it onto the property without Annalise and I being aware? Oh, that’s right. We were too caught up in each other to notice.

Gregor smirks and looks past me. “Return home. The time has not yet come,” Gregor commands in a bombing voice. A stampede of sounds and the earth shakes as they all sprint toward the mountain, leaving Gregor to fend for himself. “That was but a sixteenth of my forces. There’s many more where they came from.” Gregor says and laughs hysterically.

“What is it you want?”

“That’s easy, dearest nephew. I demand what is legitimately mine. Well, she would have been mine if that bitch hadn’t fought back. I’ll collect her from here shortly. The timing isn’t right for that now. She might not be my true mate, but I’ll mark her and fuck my seed deep inside her. She will bear my heirs. I’ll keep the bitch tied up and drugged if I have to, to get what I want and when my mate is set free, which should be soon, she’ll take over her body once again.”