Chapter Twenty-Five

ANNALISE

I used all my strength to stay composed while I inhaled the masculinity emanating from the man standing in front of me. He smells of fire, sweat and rain. Annoyingly close to what Zane smelt like when Larissa was taking in the aroma of all of our mates when I shifted.

I sense a bizarre feeling of knowing this person. It’s as if his soul is reaching out to my own. I can only see his backside at the moment as my daddy beckons me forward. Damn, those pants hug his plump, firm ass to perfection. I kept my face stoic because the guy’s wearing pants and is naked from the waist up. He’s down right ripped with masculinity. Jarek has jet-black locks, Zane has dark-chocolate colored hair like mine, and Xillon has wheat-blonde strands. I suppose I could be down with fiery red hair.

I grinned and hoped I could keep my wolf-like ears hidden as I advanced. I don’t want to shock the guy at first sight.

What the hell is wrong with me? I have three mates at sixteen years old, when I shouldn’t know of my mate until I’m nineteen. Man, I’m an anomaly and I’m taking everyone down with me. Perhaps Jarek, Zane and Xillon have been right all these years. I’m a monstrosity.

Plastering a huge grin on my face, I do my best not to freak out when this guy’s face comes into view. My goodness, his striking emerald eyes, chiseled jawline with chin stubble and a mustache that hasn’t been shaved in a while, have my heart beating a mile a minute.

A magnetic pull as his soul continues to cry out to me has my nerves skittering all over the place. I feel as if I’ve known this guy my whole life. Please ears, don't betray me now. After acting civil and introducing myself, Dante barely forces out his name, but his accent has me wanting to jump him. The strange thing is I don’t feel the mate bond as our hands meet, so I figure it’s my hormones going wild, and nothing else. Where the heck is Larrisa when I need her?

However, Larissa comes forth after Zane rudely assaults Dante. She lets me take the reins in whooping his ass, but takes over afterwards and rips him a new one by screaming out that she will never accept him as her mate and I give her a high-five inside my mind as we dash up the stairs. I had to break away from Zane because I knew my lupine ears were definitely visible now.

‘He is also our mate,’ she says, then departs before I can rebut her claim. There’s no way I could have four mates. My wolf’s hormones are worse than mine.

Instead of going inside my room, I sit in the doorway, close my eyes and strive to catch my bearings. I reach up to find that my lupine ears have surfaced.

“Chill out Annalise. You’ve got this,” I murmur, as I lay my hand in my lap and try to relax.

The last two days have been an utter chaos as I endeavored to satisfy Jarek and Xillon by devoting the same amount of time to both of them, and scurrying about to help my father ready for our esteemed guest’s arrival. I’m totally depleted and just desire solitude right now.

Dante’s scent reaches my nose, and I hear him as he ascends the stairs. His bedroom is located a few doors further down the hall from mine. I chastise myself for leaving him to fend for himself and bang my head against my door.

“Do you have a twin?”

“Excuse me?” I ask, as I open my eyes to Dante’s furrowed brows and questioning gaze as he scrutinizes my appearance. I groan upon reaching up and realizing my lupine ears are still on display.

“Could you let your hair down?”

“Listen. I’m not sure what’s happening with you, but no, I don’t possess a twin. You’ll need to get used to my ears. They have a mind of their own. I’ve had them from the day I was born. Accept me as I am or not at all. It makes no difference to me.”