Chapter Seventeen

A

NNALISE 

“Rise and shine, sweetheart. Today marks your sixteenth birthday and you know what that means.”

“That I should be able to stay in bed for once, so I can conserve my energy for my transformation into my wolf.” I grumble.

“It’s almost noon. We have much to do to get you ready for your party.”

“News flash mom, I don’t have many friends, so it won't be a big gathering. On my end, anyway.”

Groaning, I clutch my pillow and bury my head underneath it. Hoping my mother would leave me alone.

“You aren’t the only one expected to shift tonight, sweetheart. Several families are coming to celebrate their children’s first shift. It is of the utmost importance that you assist me in preparing for tonight.”

“Jarek didn’t help you get ready for his, Xillon’s and Zane’s shift. In fact, they all disappeared until the moment arrived for them to shift. So why should my transformation party be any different?”

“You caught me red-handed. You’re my daughter. I have already prepared everything. I want to take you out. Get all dolled up and maybe buy some new clothes. We should take time together, just you and me, baby.”

“What happens if I shift earlier than planned? That has happened before, you understand. Pointing out, because no one is sure of what time I was born. Hell, they did not even leave me with a name. Is today really my actual birthday? As far as we are aware, my birthday may not be until tomorrow.”

“I’m finished with this conversation, Annalise. Wake up and get ready.” My mother says in her commanding, don’t say another word voice, that I know best not to go against. She’s scarier than my father, and he’s the freaking Alpha for christ sakes.

Once I hear my door slam, I toss my pillow off the side of the bed and rub my lids as I rise. I should be more excited to have my first shift, but I’m not. I wish I could strangle my wolf’s neck for making me be born a freak with Elven ears and eyes that transition from sky-blue to gold, then silver. Why couldn’t she have made an appearance from the get go?

Swinging my legs over the side of the bed, I stand and advance towards my walk-in closet, flip the switch for the light to come on, and sigh. Mom wants me to dress like a proper young woman for the day, but I have only two dresses, and they make me look as if I’m going to a damn funeral. Glaring at my vast array of black shorts and shirts, I rummage around for something brighter and more cheerful to wear. There isn’t much to choose from. So I decide on a green spaghetti strap shirt with cream daisies splashed over the surface that my mom purchased for me, and some ivory shorts she acquired to accompany the shirt. I arranged the garments on my bed and make my way to my ensuite bathroom.

After shutting my door as quietly as I could, I glance up and down the hall and release a sigh of relief that my brother Jarek and his group were still asleep or had gone for the day. Gazing in disbelief that they are still sleeping, I carefully pad my way to the stairs. Almost there and certain that I was going to escape, Jarek stepped out of Zane’s room, a few rooms away from mine, and pinned me to the wall.

“Hum, the freak thinks putting on some flowery shit is going to make her normal.”

“I’m not in the mood for your crap today, Jarek. Step away before I shatter those hands you have pinning me in place against my will.” I grumble and attempt to push him off of me.

“I’d like to see you give it a go weakling.”

Glaring at Xillon and Zane as they walk out of Zane’s room. Chuckling at the sight before them, I slam my heel on Jarek’s bare foot. He releases me and groans in agony. As I sprinted towards the stairs, Zane kicked my feet out from under me, causing me to fall face first moments before I reached the landing. Wincing in pain, I glare at the asshole who just tripped me.