Chapter 19: Echoes From a Cold Past

Hi guys! Hope you're all having an amazing day! Here's the next chapter :)

Chapter 19: Echoes From a Cold Past

Clarke's P.O.V (4:12pm)

A day and a half has gone by since we left the desert and drove through Columbus, now a tundra, to the state of "Indiana", where we took a break and searched for supplies in a small ruined town. We were able to venture around the freezing area and get some more, very stale and very frozen water and a few bottles of alcohol that Monty mixed with some leftover gas to get us some more fuel. I was pretty proud that Jasper didn't ask if he could have 'just one sip' this time. He's doing much better. As for where we are now.. according to Murphy's phone map we should be somewhere between, what used to be, Hammond and Downtown Chicago, which is where the 'Crater' that Lincoln was talking about is supposed to be. The clouds hung over us as a reminder that we weren't safe just yet. Lincoln wasn't lying. The tundras we have been driving through have been nothing but cold weather with frigid winds and icy grounds. Those slippery grounds make it pretty hard for a girl to pee considering we can't just 'whip it out' as Murphy says. The sun was still out but it was getting darker by every minute. Raven was driving Bellamy, Murphy, Kane, and I in the car while Monty was leading us in the buggy with the others. I could see Warin's happy tail wagging from the back seat of the buggy. It's been quite a peaceful drive. Murphy has been playing music every now and then which kept us all happy. I was in the back of the car between Bellamy and Kane who both refused to sleep more than 4 hours the past day and a half. It was comforting having Bellamy so close to me. Falling asleep with my head on his shoulder every few hours was right where I belong.

"Fucking finally!" Murphy cheered from the passenger seat as the phone turned on after charging.

"Is the DJ booth back up and running?" Raven asked.

"See for yourself, madame." He said as he tapped the phone which started playing a song over the car's speakers. 'Come With Me by Surfaces and Salem Ilese' as the car's console screen read.

"It's good to see those two happy," Kane stated to Bellamy and I. "They went through a lot. All of you have." He turned away to look back out the window. I turned to Bellamy and we shared a look and a shrug that said 'He's alright'.

"How are you feeling?" Bellamy asked me quietly with soft eyes.

"I'm good. I feel like we're finally getting somewhere." I answered with a smile which he returned. The sunset was making his eyes glow in a way that I've never seen before. His hair was all over his forehead but not long enough yet to cover his eyes fully. The collar of the red winter jacket he was wearing was covering his neck but I could faintly make out the stubble trying to grow on it.

"SO BABY COME WITH ME!" Murphy sang his little heart out from upfront while Raven glanced at him every now and then with a smile. The song was just right. This was happiness.. THIS was where I belonged. With all these wonderful people. My thoughts were cut short as Monty slammed on the breaks of the buggy in front of us causing Raven to follow suit. She put the car in park and opened the door, which caused a relentless binging noise to occur.

"What the hell man!?" She asked walking over to the buggy, the crunching of her boots in the snow following her every step. The 4 of us followed her out of the car, weapons in hands, to investigate what happened.

"Lincoln told me to stop! I wasn't about to say no to him." Monty answered frantically as the others piled out of the vehicle. Lincoln was standing in front of the buggy holding the map we made in his hands. He was cycling between looking at the map and then looking at the area in front of him as if to compare the two scenes.