AKIRO'S CHOICE

A/N: Hi!!!! Sorry for having been gone for so long. I seriously never intended to take a 5 month break, but I really haven't been feeling the best these past two years and my motivation to do the things I love comes and goes.

Unfortunately, this isn't a chapter, just something I felt inspired to write after months of a creative block. Though it is kinda important cause it's canon to the story.

It takes place after the ending of "Akiro's Story" before he leaves the US. Hope you enjoy!

(Akiro's POV)

"The doctor will be here in a few minutes." The secretary smiled as I only nodded my head.

After a small thank you, I rolled my suitcase over to my father's office and silently took a seat.

This was it. My time here was over. Tomorrow, I'll be back in Japan. Home sweet home I guess...

Sighing, I pressed my head against the wall and looked up at the ceiling. Who knew I'd be sad to leave?

But... maybe it was for the best. I had passed my exams and gotten that job offer my father wanted. And in a few years, I could finally work alongside him. As an equal. A team. I smiled slightly. Yes, that was what I wanted. To make my father proud. To earn his respect. And besides, there was no reason for me to stay here any longer than I needed to.

"Akiro." My father's voice took me out of my trance, and had my body unconsciously stiffening.

"Father." I immediately stood up and gave him a small courtesy bow. "Did you... finish everything you had to do?"

"Yes, and I apologize for the change of plans. It seemed they needed me around for a bit longer than I thought."

"If you need more time I could cancel our tickets." I found myself blurting out. "We could always leave on tomorrow's flight."

"There's no need," he dismissed quite passively as he grabbed his suitcase and began walking to the door.

"Are you sure?" I quickly followed behind. "I wouldn't mind staying another day if that's what's be-"

"Akiro," he said my name with that low voice of his, "is there something you want to do before leaving?" He arched an eyebrow.

I paused, lips parting slightly at his question as no words came out of my mouth. "N-No." I finally managed to say, not being able to hide just how off-guard his question had caught me. Fortunately I was quick to get back to my senses and quickly cleared my voice. "No, father I was just-... I was just thinking about what was best for the hospital..."

"Hmm... I see.." He simply hummed and locked the door to his office.

We marched in silence through those white, bright hallways that smelled of antiseptic. It was weird how time worked. Just last month I was here with Leo and Evelyn.

As we walked by, I caught sight of that waiting room Leo and I had spent so much time in. I even passed by that hallway where Evelyn, Leo and I had played some weird variation of hockey where we had used those hospital cups as the puck and crutches as sticks. And finally, I came face to face with the door that led to what had been Evelyn's hospital room for that week and a half.

I was in such a different headspace back then, wasn't I?

"Akiro?" My father's monotone voice once again took me out of my thoughts.

I was quick to tear my gaze from the door, and walk away, not wanting to hear another one of my father's lectures.

"I already called the car." He announced once we had walked outside.

I didn't say anything in return. I simply nodded my head and looked out into the distance. My eyes slowly scanned the area, as if my brain wished to memorize this place. But much to its misfortune, the car arrived shortly after.

The ride to the airport was silent for the most part. It was a bit uncomfortable since we were sitting right in front of each other but didn't exchange a single word. Normally I would be fine with it. Our relationship tended to be like that. But for some reason I found it uncomfortable this time.

Halfway through the ride, he got a call from the hospital which was actually a relief as it gave me some time away from his intense gaze. To pass the time, I turned my phone to read over our plane details once again. I didn't know why but it always helped me relax before flying. Of course it couldn't stop the motion sickness, but it did help easing my nerves and making the flight a bit more tolerable.

My attention however was diverted elsewhere, as my finger now hovered over my contacts. Specifically, over one chat I hadn't opened in a while.

It had been nearly a month since we had last spoken and it was such a strange feeling. This past year, I had grown so used to having him around, that the silences I had been so accustomed to now felt foreign. I guess that’s why I felt so uncomfortable on the ride to the airport. There was no one here to talk my ear off with all their ramblings, nor was there anyone to blast my eardrums with their so-called ‘guitar skills’. Or even listen to their bad jokes. Instead, it was all complete, and utter… silence...  

Upon realizing I had once again let my mind wander, I forced myself to shake my head and continued on with my task. The last thing I needed was to spend the whole flight on edge.

Once we finally arrived at the airport, we were greeted by some guards that were sent there for my father. They helped us carry all our luggage and walk us through all of the airport procedures. It was the usual stuff that wasn't very interesting, so I didn't pay much attention to what was happening. But when the time came to pass through the airport security gates and into the departure halls, I found myself hesitating. As if part of me didn't want to leave.

Slowly, I turned around and took a look at the place for one last time. All the signs written in English, the TVs that recapped yesterday's American football match, the food stalls with those hamburgers Leo would wolf down in less than a second...

I had spent less than a year here, yet why did it feel more like home than Japan ever did? Why was it so hard for me to leave? Why was it so hard to... say goodbye?

"Akiro." I instantly turned at the voice of my father. "What are you waiting for?" Those blood red eyes made contact with mine.

I was quick to tear my view away. My eyebrows now knitted together in confusion, as I asked myself that same question. What was I even waiting for? A sign? A voice?

I shook my head yet again and slowly made my way towards him. After all, I-... Well, I no longer had anything going on here...

"Come on, son." My father patted my shoulder. "Our flight will be taking off soon."

So, I did just like my father wanted and... I didn't look back.

My life was in Japan. Not in the US.

A/N: It's pretty short I know, but I wrote it yesterday and it's the only thing I've written (and that I'm happy with) in these past months. I'm definitely taking this as a win as I think I'm slowly getting my motivation back. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy this story and coming up with ideas, the thing that's been holding me down is my writing, which I haven't been happy with so it discouraged me to continue.

I really hope this small chapter has helped me in my writing journey so I can continue writing this story for you (and hopefully finishing it because there are literally 4 or so chapters left and I'm screaming cause we're so close omgg– help! LMAO).

Anyways, thank you for reading if you've reached this far and I'll see you soon!!