22

Obscurity acted like a warm blanket and wrapped itself around me

I don't know if I welcomed the feeling, but my heart felt the heaviness of sorrow and mourning. The pain was almost unbearable.

Then there was the undeniable numbness that settled itself deep into my bones.

I couldn't move.

I don't know if I am even breathing.

Is it helplessness that I am feeling?

Suddenly, the darkness changed, and I was no longer surrounded by it. Instead, I was sitting at home. My mother was cooking in front of the fireplace. While my father stuck a few chopped logs into the fireplace to keep the fire going. The smell of my mother's home cooked stew filled me with a sense of belonging and nostalgia.

My mother stood up from her spot and turned to me.

"Dinner is almost ready, sweetheart. Why don't you go find your sister to help you set the table?" she asked.

Tears welled up in my eyes.

"Mama... "

My mother stood up from her spot and walked over to me. She placed one hand on my shoulder and the other cradled my cheeks.

"What's wrong?"

"Is this real?" I asked her.

A smile broke on her worried face.

"Of course it is."

"I'm not dreaming, am I?"

My mother pinched my cheek, and I winced at the pain. I burst out laughing through my tears and threw my arms around her waist.

"Oh mama, I missed you. I missed you so much." Her warm, rose-y scent filled my nostrils, and I felt my heart filled with happiness. I buried my face in her shoulder and inhaled.

"Oh darling, what happened? Are you okay? Did someone hurt you?"

"Nothing happened. I'm just happy to see you."

A shadow loomed over us and I lifted my head to see my father appearing at our sides. I pulled away from my mother to throw my arms around him. My father was a big, burly man. While my mother was tiny and slender. When I threw my arms around him, I had to jump on my feet.

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around my waist.

"Oh, this is a surprise."

"Papa," I whispered and hugged him tighter.

Suddenly, I felt the air change. My father disappeared from my arms and I'm no longer inside my home. I'm standing outside of my house. A breathless Freya came running up to me. She looked only twelve.

"C'mon, Fei! Let's go play down to the lake. All the other children are there."

I laughed and allowed her to drag me by the hand towards the edge of the woods. Little Freya was smiling freely and happily.