16

Waiting wasn't my forte

Waiting wasn't my forte. Others have waited on me, but I have never waited on anyone else. Instead of worrying over what I couldn't control, I busied myself with taking care of business. Lazarus hasn't gotten back to me yet about the incident in North Dakota and I knew I couldn't stay here for much longer. I needed to return and manage things from home.

However, nothing was going the way I wanted. Waiting on Silas, Lazarus, and Ophelia.

Fuck...Ophelia...

Just the mention of her name made me feel all kinds of ways.

I stood up from the fireplace in Lazarus's guest bedroom and walked to the walk-in closet. It was two in the morning and still dark outside.

I couldn't resist glancing at the crystal for the thousandth time today. Still, there wasn't any activity. Frustration boiled inside me like a kettle. I couldn't think or breathe.

Grabbing a towel, I decided to go take a shower. A cold one—at least it would help in de-stressing whatever I was feeling inside. I stripped out of my clothes and hopped in. Turning the cold water to max. I stood inside the shower and inhaled deeply. The air stretched my lungs as I held in my breath for a few seconds. I released it a second later.

I don't know how long I stood in the shower. When I came out, I felt slightly rejuvenated. In the middle of drying myself off, my ear twitched to the sound of scuffling in the bedroom. I stopped to wrap the towel around my waist before walking out of the bathroom.

To my surprise, it was Ophelia.

The heaviness inside of me lifted. Before I knew it, I was by her side and pulling her into my chest. I wrapped my arms tight around her.

"You're back," I breathed.

Ophelia sighed and wrapped her arms around my waist. It felt good to have her in my arms again. I put one hand in the back of her head as she lay her head on my shoulder.

"What took you so long?" I asked, still holding onto her.

"How long was I gone for?" she replied.

"Six days." Six days of darkness. Six days of feeling of heaviness in my chest. Six days of missing her. Fuck, I missed her. I really did.

"I guess it is a good thing I was gone for six days. It looks like you missed me," she said sassily.

I pulled back to look at her. She lifted her head to look at me. There were dark circles under her eyes. She looked pale and her normal cherry lips were dull. She still looked beautiful, but you could tell she looked exhausted.

"Why were you gone for so long? Do you remember anything?"

"I only disappeared back into the crystal, Atlas. There's nothing wrong with me."

"You look paler."

"You don't look so good yourself." She pushed me away before walking to sit on the bed. I followed her.