7

After twelve hours of flight to America, we were now driving down the lamp-lit streets of New York

After twelve hours of flight to America, we were now driving down the lamp-lit streets of New York. The weather here was just as cold as the weather in Europe. It was early into the fall seasons. On a good day, we might go without a jacket, but tonight there was a chill in the air.

I sat in the limousine's backseat that came to pick us up at the airport. About thirty bodyguards came with us, including Silas. They drove in separate bullet proof vehicles and surrounded the limo.

I got zapped into the red crystal almost the entire flight, but appeared just in time. When I apparated, I found myself in the limo's trunk. After some hard knocking and kicking, the limo came to a stop. A few minutes later, a displeased Atlas opened the trunk.

Sitting next to him, I turned my head to look him over. He changed into a black suit with a black dress shirt underneath. Three buttons on top have been unbuttoned, exposing his pectorals. A pair of dark sunglasses hung from the opening of his shirt.

Atlas looked all fine and relaxed. I adjusted my leather jacket over my body and crossed my arms while leaning back in my seat. Looking out one window, I admired the city streets. My attention is captured by how much has changed in fifty years. The styles of the building, the people who walked on the streets, and the air.

"It's beautiful," I whispered, and pressed my palm against the window.

"On the outside, it is beautiful, but hooligans, rogues, and rebel shifters overrun this city. Sanitation is low. You can smell the stench of rot and death from a mile away," Atlas said from behind me.

I turned to look at him, but already found him staring at me.

"How many times have you been here?" I moved closer to him.

"Over the hundred years that I lived, I have been here ten times. I don't understand why Lazarus enjoyed living in these conditions. Nothing here is pleasurable. It hurts my nose to breathe polluted city street air."

I scoffed at his blatant disgust.

"Ophelia, Lazarus is well known in our world because of his strong connections to the shifters and the human world. He is skilled in technology and keeping the health of our community up to date. He is a force to be reckon with. He may be loyal, but I've known him to be manipulative and domineering."

I leaned back in my seat and tapped my chin with one finger. "Hm... so, you're saying he is my type."

Atlas growled and grabbed my wrist. It stopped me from tapping my chin.

"I'm kidding!" I huffed and yanked my hand back. "What is wrong with you?"

"You promised to behave, Ophelia," he warned lowly.

"And behave I will be." I nodded my head.

Not long after, we arrived at an enormous mansion. From my vision, I could see Silas stepping out of the car to talk to one guard before the gates opened. Silas got back inside and our cars moved again. We pulled into a very large driveway that ran almost half a mile long before it curved in front of the mansion doors.