2

It was her intoxicating scent again

It was her intoxicating scent again. A creamy, sensual sandalwood mixed with a crisp, woody note. I could feel the heat of her body to my left. Flipping over, I straddled her once again. This time I made sure to wear sleeping pants. I pinned her hands above her head.

"How did you escape?"

"It wouldn't be easy if I did it on my own. You have guards sitting at every corner of the castle. Your hallways are barely empty. I mean, how does someone sleep with all that walking? Do you people even sleep?"

I narrowed my eyes. Did she break out of a psych ward? She didn't look at all afraid of me when I told her I was the Vampire King. Instead, she continued to sling sexual innuendos my way.

"How did you escape, Ophelia?" I repeated.

Ophelia grinned beneath me. Her ruby hair falling in disarray all around her. She wore an emerald green block-color shift dress that was worn in the 1970s. Her gray-blue eyes had a dark rim around them. Lying beneath me, I could feel every curve of her body.

There was no shifter scent on her. If anything, she looked human—harmless, but there was this weird power radiating off from her. Like she was more powerful than me. It was almost intimidating, and that was why I sent her down to the dungeon.

"What are you?"

She wiggled her eyebrows. "I'll tell you if you let me go."

I released her. She flipped to lay down on her side, propping her head with her palm. Those naughty blue eyes traveled down my body. She didn't even bother hiding the fact that she was admiring my body. I watched her tug in her bottom lip.

"Did anyone ever tell you how sexy you look?" she purred.

I covered her eyes with my hand.

"Answer my question, Ophelia."

"I like it when you say my name."

"I would like it better if you don't get on my nerves," I grounded.

Sighing, she pulled up into a sitting position.

"I told you. My name is Ophelia McQuoid. I am a Highland witch. When I was 100 years old, I was cursed to live in the red crystal. I could only come out every fifty years."

"Why were you put in the crystal? Did you commit a crime?" I questioned.

Ophelia's expression darkened, and she looked away.

"You don't need to know the reason. You just need to know that I'm a witch stuck inside a red crystal."

"How long have you been doing this?" I stopped asking her further. It will be revealed eventually. I don't care how I would get the information.

Her blue eyes flew back to me again.

"A total of 300 years."

I nearly choked on my spit. She looked like her late twenties. She was older than me.