Epilogue

9 years later

Loki stood just inside the palace and watched Elora walk slowly through the gardens in the late morning sun, a slightly vexed smile on her face. When she stopped and crossed her arms, gently scolding the children roughhousing between the planters he decided it would be a good time to step in.

"Good morning, nin emel," he slipped up behind her wrapping his arms around her waist to rest his hands on her swollen belly. "It looks like you could use reinforcements."

Elora relaxed back into him with a deep sigh. "It seems your sister's love of wrestling is rubbing off on them and I am too tired from growing organs to do much more than grumble in their general direction."

"Well, we can't allow the twins to distract you from making sure their brother is just as perfect as they are." He chuckled slightly and kissed her temple before vanishing and moving to sneak up behind his daughters.

Frigga held a wooden sword, a gift from her uncle, raised to Melian's chest with a wicked smile he knew all too well. They were miniature replicas of their mother when it came to their looks but Frigga had the honor and brashness of his siblings where Melian had his cunning. An attribute he could see she was taking full advantage of as she bowed in surrender while slipping her small toy dagger from her sleeve. Frigga dropped her sword with a smug smile and just before Melian could lunge he appeared behind her, scooping her up and into his arms.

Frigga squealed in delight and threw her arms around his leg as Melian groaned.

"I almost had her!" She complained and wiggled in his grasp trying to escape.

"Yes," he said and placed her down gently, facing him. "And the two of you also almost have your mother pulling out her hair with your escapades so why don't we give her a break and head to the stables. Aunt Val said she'd take you up on Pegasus if you'd help brush him out after."

The girls' heads snapped toward each other before large smiles overtook their faces and they turned to run, elated at the chance to ride with the last, at least until the selected class of warriors completed their training, Valkyrie.

Loki watched them dart ahead as he trailed slowly behind, stopping beside an unimpressed Elora.

"Poor Val." She rubbed a hand along her bump.

"What, she loves the girls."

"Yes but she still only tolerates you when necessary."

He stepped in close, one hand grasping her chin gently. "If you feel that badly for her I can let the girls go with her alone and we can take advantage of their absence."

She pulled his hand away with a smile before pulling him down to kiss her. After several moments she pulled back. "As lovely as that sounds, my king, do you remember what happened last time Val had them without supervision?"

His head dropped in frustration. It was only a few months ago so of course he remembered and he was not keen on repeating the tears and bruises.

"Very well," he straightened and began to walk backwards to the garden gates. "Enjoy the quiet while you continue to grow my son's liver, my heart. I'll come find you when we are done."

He turned and began to jog after the girls who were long gone by now but slowed and looked over his shoulder when he heard her call out.

"Loki," she stared at him for a moment, eyes raking over him as she bit her lip. "I love you."