Chapter 48 - Worse Than My Grandparents

Time has never gone so slowly. On the front lines, it's been quiet for this week, but that peace and quiet will undoubtedly change when me and Anakin land on Felucia tomorrow in time for our offensive. 

Yes, the quiet is great, but it's infuriating when it means you have nothing to do anymore. I've lost count of the amount of times I've paced up and down the Grand corridor, the number of times I've tried throwing wrappers into a basket, and how many times I've just tried to build a house of cards.

"Are you sure it doesn't have to do with a certain Jedi Knight, who's on Corellia?" Kira asks me, prodding at my side from where we're on the floor of the training room together, practicing stretches as we used to many years ago when we were still younglings in the same clan. 

Unfortunately for her, some of that flexibility is temporarily lost while she recovers from the horrific lightsaber gash down her abdomen. When she's wearing a sports bra, like she is now, a thick red gash that starts off about as broad as a pencil and widens up to nearly the breadth of my index and middle fingers together - runs down her stomach, starting on her left rib and crossing her belly button until it disappears under the waistband on her shorts. 

"No." I say harshly, easing myself into a side split. I bend my hind knee until I can grab my toes, before slowly straightening it again, until I'm bend backwards in a true side split. 

"Show off." Kira teases, crawling over to me and poking me again. "But that is impressive. Have you been practicing? Maybe, with a certain handsome blonde Jedi, in bed, at night?" she wiggles her eyebrows at me, and I shoot her an umipressed glare without moving from my position. 

"You wouldn't jump into a split like this as soon as I imply you like him if it wasn't true." She says, trying to fish a reaction out of me. 

"I don't. It's against the Code." I tell her, but I'm thinking of when he held me on the floor of the Shuriken that night, and we promised each other things we might not be able to keep. Practically, this is the safest way to proceed, but lying to Kira so horrendously like this makes me feel like  my tongue rot because of it. 

"Oh, you're not allowed to." Kira says, inching her way down into a split as well. "That definitely means that you wouldn't. Because, oh, you know, not being 'allowed' to do something has definitely stopped people from doing things in the past." Kira shoots me a pointed look, and I have to look away because she's right. I know she's just kidding about Anakin, but it's painful how unbelivably right she actually is.

"I'm bored. The last mission we went on was very cut and dry, and the front lines have been eerily quiet recently. All of my energy's pent up, making me restless." I try to explain.

"Maybe the news from the front lines isn't necessarily good, though." Kira muses, forgetting about me and Anakin. "I don't like it when it's actually so quiet. It bothers me. Like the calm before the storm. There's always this nagging feeling in the back of my head like they're about to launch into a major offensive."

"That feeling is past experience, and it's nagging because it's usually try." I tell her. "They're not about to dial their war efforts down for no reason, Kira, it's because they're getting ready for the next leg."

"Just because they're trying doesn't mean they're winning." Kira bites, and her bitterness towards the Separatists who gave her her scar is visible, fresh and prominent. I let go of my toes and come back up, before slowly moving out of my stretch. "The Republic is winning. Bring back Felucia and wreck some cruisers. Let's see where they launch another offensive from when they have no money."

Technically, it doesn't make a huge difference to their monetary resources whether I wreck their assets on Felucia or not, but I can empathize with how Kira must be feeling right now, so I opt for silence and agree with her like a supportive friend should.