Chapter 41 - Code Black

Just when you think you've had a nice day, don't let your guard down, because the night is far from over.

It was 6 hours back to Coruscant from Isoria. Me and Anakin didn't spend much time together on the ride back since we were both practically exhausted. Anakin generously cleared out Obi Wan's room for me, and I crashed within the first two minutes. He crashed too, but he left after a while to attend to his duties on board.

I woke up a couple of hours later, and I couldn't go back to sleep. A part of me wanted to go exploring, like Anakin had offered, but a greater part of me wanted to lie in bed and relax. It's been... months since I was on someone else's cruiser and believe me when I say it is a rare joy. You have no commitments to anyone on board, don't have look after anything or go to the bridge at all. 

Don't get me wrong, I love interacting with the troops and officials, but not when I'm weary and tired.And besides, I'm actually conscious and unharmed, which is also something to be thankful for. More often than not, the Jedi arrive from battles battered and bruised.

Or dead, but we're being optimistic here.

I had every expectation of a quiet evening and night ahead of me in my quarters on Coruscant, meditating and filing petty reports.

That did not happen.

When Anakin and I set foot into the hangar of the Jedi Temple, it was chaos. There were Padawans running back and forth across the room, troopers barking orders as platoons after platoons marched out and onto cruisers. Hangar workers frantically typed away at controls, ground workers scurried to ship after ship and alarms were blaring everywhere.

Not a single Jedi Knight was in sight."Something's wrong." Anakin said.

Yeah, no dank.

"Skywalker, (y/l/n)!" A booming voice - Mace Windu - thundered. He got back from Saleucami last week, when we were on a Isoria, and it's safe to say it didn't go well for him at all. He broke his right femur and his left fibula, leaving him wheelchair bound for a while; he was shot in the shoulder thrice, he broke 3 of his ribs and he got caught in an explosion that's left him with burn scars on the right side of his face, cue the ball of bandages he's wearing. The healers aren't sure if his eye will even make it; it's a bit painful to see. EVeryone's been walking on eggshells around him since he doesn't like when we act like he's debilitated, but we don't want to push him.

"Master." I greeted as he awkwardly rolled up to us. "What's happening? How can we help?"

"It's a calamity. This is no way to greet both of you after your very successful mission, and I'm sorry it has to be this way, but tragedy has befallen us." he told us very seriously.

"What's happened?" Anakin asked, echoing me.

"It's a trap. We've sent Jedi to every part of the Galaxy for small, insignificant missions and we have no one left in reserves. But Luminara's entire fleet is in the Bespin orbit and they've just contacted us with a Code Black." He explained.

Code Black...? Something must be horribly wrong. It's the highest level of emergency alert. We didn't even use it when the Temple hangar was bombed around a year ago. It's theoretically to be used when you're in dire need of help, or afraid of mass destruction, but... it's never happened. I've never seen it happen. I don't even know anyone who's seen it happen.

"You both are the only Knights we have back for the next half-rotation at best. I hate to send you off on such a perilous mission when you arrive, but it's our only option. I would go, but..." he gestured to himself, indicating he couldn't help.