Chapter 47 - What Do We Have Here?

"Well, well, what do we have here?" Master Kenobi teased as he strolled into the cafeteria, taking a seat beside Anakin. "If I remember right, last time we were in this situation, you both were on pssive-aggressive terms and Anakin spoonfed (y/n)."

"Um, excuse me, but he wasn't spoon feeding me? What am I, a child?" I asked amusedly, after swallowing my mouthful of cheesy fries, amid Anakin's chuckles.

"We'll give her some slack with that, Obi Wan, poor (y/n) there was working on some 3 hours of semi-sleep at that point." Anakin defended.

"Only if you give me your fries." Obi Wan snorted, stealking Anakin's basket of fries. 

"Hey!" Anakin squealed, pulling it back to him. "That's mine."

"I'm the one doing you a favour, this is only my well-deserved incentive." Obi Wan smirked, pulling Anakin's fries towards him again.

"Well, you can't have them." Anakin said indignantly, sticking his tongue out at Obi Wan.

"Who's the child now?" I asked ironically, using the Force to throw a fry into each of their faces. "You can have some of my fries if you want, Obi Wan."

"I should have taken you as my Padawan instead, (y/n). You're so much better behaved than this unruly bantha here." Obi Wan teased again. "I'll take just two, thank you, dear. But do tell, how did this...", he gestured to the air between us, "-happen? I mean, you hinted at it over the holo, but I wasn't expecting such, goodwill between you. I mean, that's just..."

"I suppose Isoria brought us together." I replied curtly, briefly squeezing Anakin's hand over the table. 

"It's good to hear. And this food is great, where's it from?"

"It's from this great restaurant on the South Boulevard called Tony and Isabella's. I go there all the time." Anakin replied. "You know, I'm positive I took you there once, too."

"Ah, I remember - you invited me, but I was called away urgently on a mission." Obi Wan replied. "It's really good."

"Yeah, it is." Anakin said, smiling at me. "Although you've sort of interrupted our date here, which isn't good."

Several things happened in the seconds that followed.

First, I kicked Anakin's shin under the table, shooting him a "What the kriff?" with my eyes. 

Second, Anakin's eyes widened apologetically for his Freudian slip, and we both glanced worriedly towards Obi Wan.

Third, Obi Wan paused mid-chew, looking horrifiedly, as if he had just realized he'd made a huge mistake, between me and Anakin.

Fourth, a Padawan came barreling through the doors with a tray of what looked like used starfighter oil, dropped it, and slipped in it, sliding all the way to Anakin's feet.

"Woah, Arud, are you okay?" Anakin asked, immediately getting out of his seat and forgetting what had happened at our table. Obi Wan and I sat quietly and umoving like statues, unsure how to break the awkward tension.

"I'm so sorry." the poor Padawan said, turning as red as a tomato, horrified to have blundered so awfully in front of 3 of the most accomplished Jedi Knights in the order, trying pointlessly to swipe the obviously adamant slick out of his robes. When he caught my gaze, I offered him a tight smile, unsure whether to be thankful for his diversion or to be annoyed he had ruined the moment.

"Don't worry about it, Arud, you have nothing to apologize for." Anakin told the preteen Padawan as he helped him up and dust his clothes off. "Why were running with... 34-ASJX oil in a tray? Into the cafeteria?"