Failing The First Trial

"That's true," I affirmed, and without thinking, I raced down the polished wooden stairs after slamming the door hard, making it release a loud bang that resonated in the house.
I was heaving slightly by the time I arrived downstairs.
I hurried to the luxurious and monotonous black-and-white dining room and stopped when Beta Wyatt eyed me with a complex expression.
Wyatt tilted his neck and stared at me with an indecipherable look before leaning back on the lone black chair at the head of the table.
Tapping on the dark live edge table rhythmically, he squinted at me with eyes filled with interest: "You're sure fast for an omega." He expressed, his expression cold to the brim. "And healed fast..."
I walked toward the white chair at the end of the table and pulled it out calmly. "Do you mean I'm not an omega?" I arched my brows and sat down on the chair with my head held high, making sure not to reveal any frightened expressions.
Beta Wyatt's tap on the table increased, yet his face was calm, giving me no chance to see through his thoughts.
After a few seconds of silence, he picked up his cutlery and returned to being indifferent, "Let's eat." He said.
I frowned, not understanding the mystery about him. I understand that he's a cold man of few words, and it made it hard to see through him, but I can't see through him at all.
I gazed at him straightforwardly. This time, I have no intention of letting him be without receiving answers to the things going on. "We have all the time now. Can you reply to all the questions now?" I asked him.
My eyes were fixated on him, even though the stylish black and white sideboard and sparkling mirror behind him were screaming for my attention.
Beta Wyatt's hand that held the cutlery paused in midair. Indifferently, he replied, "The truth will be revealed gradually."
The indifferent answer made me frustrated. I don't understand what was going on, but whenever I'm getting closer to an answer, I'm always faced with a wall. "What if I'm kicked out?" I retorted and folded my arms.
My breathing began to come out erratically. I could feel my anger building dangerously, and not even the calming flower scent that was emitted by the lit incense in its silver burner placed at the corner of the dining room could help stop it.
Wyatt placed the cutlery on the serviette and arched his brows. Tapping on the table, he stared at me calmly. "Because you failed the first trial?" He questioned.
I stared at him in confusion. Not understanding what he meant. What does he mean by failing the first test? I haven't even begun the test yet, have I? So how come?
"What do you mean by I failed the first trial? I haven't even started a thing, have I?" Although I was trying to stay calm, anxiety was beginning to gnaw at me deeply, and my heart had begun to palpitate.
My stomach churned, and my system seemed to have made a 180-degree change. I clutched the end of my pajama top tightly.
"What was his order for you?" Beta Wyatt articulated.
I knitted my brows, remembering that Alpha Oswald ordered me not to stay with the opposite sex, which I already did with Wyatt. My heart rate skyrocketed. That can't make me fail, can it?
"Not to stay with other men," I replied in an oddly calm voice that shocked me. I was hoping he'd clarify that it wasn't, but upon seeing his indifference, I knew I guessed it right.
"You both tricked me?" I bemoaned, feeling surging emotions run through me chaotically.
My heart seemed to be pierced by something hard, making me want to roar, but somehow all I did was let out a giant laugh at the moment due to betrayal.
My eyes were fixated on the detached Wyatt. I never expected Beta Wyatt to be in Oswald's plans. He appears to have stayed by me back then in the garden, but what I never expected was that he oppositely stood by me.
I stood up while laughing in amusement. I bit my quivering lower lip hard and ran my hands through my hair. Goosebumps are forming on my skin.
"I can't believe it. Tell me you're lying." I facepalmed myself while staring at Wyatt anxiously, hoping that he'd clarify. That he'll tell me that he was lying, and I haven't failed the first trial.
Even though I knew he was unlikely to do that, I just wanted him to say that on my behalf.
I don't want Wyatt to betray me; I trust and like him too much to bear his betrayal.
Wyatt stared at me calmly, seemingly unfazed by my reaction.
He probably thought that I was overreacting, didn't he?
"I can't disrespect the Alpha." He responded still in that indifferent tone, which lit up the fire in me.
The smile on my face froze, and without care, I banged the dining table in anger.
"Argh. Unbelievable." My breathing was erratic, and my chest was heaving heavily. I shook my head, tears pooling in my eyes due to the betrayal.
I made a decision in the afternoon, all for him. Just for him because…
My hands were shaky as I pointed at him and asked, "How can you be this cruel? I trusted you. Did you enjoy watching Nancy and the others turn their backs on me? Did you?" I yelled, filled with hurt and anger.

Wyatt leaned back on the chair. He picked up a glass of water and eyed me from head to toe. "Calm down…"
"Don't tell me what to do." I interrupted with a harsh yell.
I've never felt so uncomfortable or so hurt by someone who looked unremorseful of his actions.
The last time I felt so hurt was when I received the news that the rogues had killed my parents and I wouldn't have to see them anymore. I couldn't believe his gut.
I took a deep breath and looked into the dark ceiling while blinking. I used my fingers to rub my eyes and stared at him calmly.
I chuckled loudly to hide the pain that was running through me and licked my dried lower lip. "I have failed the test by staying close to you, haven't I? I've talked badly about him and challenged his Luna; will I be kicked out tomorrow? Should I pack my luggage since this place is obviously not a place for me?" I yelled angrily, yet he was unmoved despite all my bellowing.
It was as if he was a robot. I never considered him a heartless person until now.
My shoulder drooped. I turned and began to leave the dining room, a pathetic smile hanging on my face. "Ah. I forgot that I came here with nothing. Then I should take my leave. I should just…"
Before I could complete my words, Beta Wyatt's hand grabbed mine tight, restraining me easily.
I didn't even know when he stood up, not to mention when he followed me.
"Let me go," I yelled while struggling and trying to break free, but I couldn't break away from his hold despite hitting him; instead, his hand wrapped around my waist, and with a tug of his, I was locked in his embrace.
My chest was rising and falling as I tried to pry apart his hands in order to break away from him, but his hand was locked on my waist firmly, giving me no chance to do so.
I turned and glared at him and retorted with sarcasm, "Is this the second test? Then I'll gladly fail the third. Can I leave…"
"Do you remember what I told you that evening?" He interrupted; his eyes locked on my face, making me feel uneasy. I could feel my anger running out of control.
I could feel myself softening due to the calmness in his voice.
"I can't remember." I retorted with a scoff, even though I could remember his words perfectly.
"I won't let you be kicked out." He repeated next to my ear with a silvery laugh that sounded pleasant and made my heart shake. Within a second, my heaving anger disappeared without a trace, leaving me out of breath and slightly confused.
"How can I trust you?" I looked away from him, biting my lower lips. His hands gently pried my lower lips away from my teeth.
"You trusted me." He asserted with a knowing smirk
"I don't," I yelled out in panic, even though I knew that he was right! I trusted him. I trusted him more than I should have. And not even the incident that just happened a few minutes ago was able to weaken it.
I've experienced betrayal, but when it comes to him, I don't understand why my heart is quick to believe him.
Wyatt's lips curled up, and he hugged me tighter as if to acknowledge that he was right, which made me huff sourly.
"Ugh. Let me go. This feels so awkward." I protested and tried to leave his embrace.
Wyatt's face fell on my neck, and he seemed to be inhaling my scent, or maybe not. His hot breath fanned my neck, which made goosebumps form on my neck.
"What is?" Wyatt asked in a husky voice that sent a shiver coursing through my spine. I could feel butterflies in my system.
I gulped, my legs weakening, and my heart skipped a beat. I couldn't help bowing my head and clutching his shirt tight to secure myself.
"I'm angry with you. Don't hug me like we are lovers." I grumbled, trying to pretend that my face wasn't hot by referring to us as lovers.
"Hahaha." Wyatt laughed out loud.
I quickly raised my head to catch the sight of his smiling face.
And there he was, looking the most handsome; his face looked gentle, and his eyes seemed to soften, giving me the trace of a carefree youth he was hiding behind the cold mask.
My eyes were stuck on his face, greedily taking in every image of him, and my ears gladly took in his pleasant laughter.
"How do lovers hug?" He teased and blew hot breath into my ear, which jolted me awake. I quickly pushed him away in panic and separated from him.
My heart was racing as I made my way to the dining chair, pouting and grumbling.
'Wyatt looks cold; it's nothing but a facade. Ugh. This man,' I sat on the chair and picked up my cutlery.
"Someone's scent yells embarrassment," he teased in a low voice and made his way to his chair, which made me more embarrassed.
"Stop it already, you tease." I pouted and bowed my head while sneaking a look at him.
"Stop doing that." He suddenly said and that made me stare at him in confusion.
"What?" I tilted my head in confusion.
"Let's eat. It's late." He replied, which made me roll my eyes.

What team are you on? Team Wyatt or Oswald?

Hi guys. The free chapters of this book have come to an end.

To continue reading the paid version, you can check it out on Mobo reader,novel cat, Goodnovel, istory, bravo novel, joy read, istory, novelnow (reading by watching ads) etc.