Part 17

Naruse Mio, chased out of the Toujou house, came to a park on a hill with Maria. It was the park where she had watched the sunset after cycling around the city on Basara's bicycle. For thirty minutes since they had arrived there, Mio silently watched the glow of the city at night.

It was a beautiful sight. The glow of the buildings and the lights of cars or trains appeared like an illumination.

'Just like he said...' Mio thought about Basara's words when they came here before, but she frowned slightly. "I knew coming together would be impossible."

"Excuse me, Mio-sama. Please do cheer up." Maria said next to her looking at her with worried eyes. "We were just unlucky that they turned out to be Heroes. With someone else, I am sure-"

"No, Maria. Let's put an end to all the deceiving." Mio said with a shake of her head. "I want a base without involving anyone if possible, but...deceiving someone for that is certainly not to my liking."

"I understand...I will abide by your words, Mio-sama." Maria said before smiling softly. "That is what makes you kind, Mio-sama. I personally do not see any problems with deceiving a human that approaches us with ulterior motives though."

"Maybe...But who could have imagined that these two were Heroes." Mio spoke with a mocking smile. "But...."

"Mio-sama." Mari called with a calm tone.

"Sorry. We need to figure out what to do from now on, but first we need a place to stay tonight."

But Maria shook her head to the side.

"No. It looks like we have something we have to do before that." Maria said with a slight stiffness in her voice.

That's when Mio noticed the surrounding atmosphere. The park had suddenly become ominously quiet. An unnatural silence.

"Magic to keep humans away..." Mio muttered.

"Please watch out, it is an enemy." Maria said glaring in front of her.

There was movement in the shadows. What appeared from the darkness were three ominous shades that gradually took shape. One turned into a humanoid with a scythe while the other two formed manticores.

Demons. Without a doubt. They emitted a blatant bloodlust that exposed their existence as well as their aim.

"I see...To think that you would come on your own accord." Mio said out loud in anger, glaring challengingly at the three Demons. "Unforgivable...I'll avenge my parents..." She muttered softly as Ruri and Haru's smiling faces came to mind. "Kindly getting rid of all humans...Fine. Bring it on. Prepare yourselves, I'll kill you a hundred times."

At the same time, Mio's body emitted a crimson aura and the two manticores closed in simultaneously.

"Eat this!"

With a flash of light from her hands, lightning magic crashed down from the sky, creating a dust cloud in front of them. But the two shadows burst through the dust. Feeling no presence from the humanoid demon, Mio guessed that it was defeated by the lightning magic.

"Mio-sama. I will go next."

Maria, who stood beside her, kicked off the ground and flew forward, standing right in the two manticore's path. The manticores, deciding to finish Maria off first, split up to the right and left, planning to attack from both sides. Closing the distance, one came at Maria with its fangs while the other with its claws.

"Ahahaha. So foolish."

Maria closed the distance with the manticore that planned to use its fang, and when she was close enough, she balled her fist tightly.