“Zane’s out here somewhere, isn’t he? You guys, trying to one up me, or what?”

“What? No, Annalise. I’m being serious. I want to make amends between you and me.”

“Right, and how am I supposed to believe you? Just yesterday, you stood by while Jarek chased me down on his motorcycle. Suddenly, you care what happens to me. I don’t think so, Xillon.”

“I’ll make it clear to you if you grant me that opportunity, Annalise. I apologize for all the wrong I have caused you. I’m here to look out for you and keep you safe. Jarek and Zane have conflicting opinions. They are hellbent on making your life miserable. Both want you gone, as soon as you come of age.”

“They may get their wish. Dante has asked for me to go to Scotland with him and his family when they return. He seems to think that even without a wolf, I would be a remarkable asset to their military forces over there.”

Xillon sighs softly and clasps my shoulders.

“His scent blanketed you tonight. Xavier wanted to rip him to shreds. Did you… I mean… Did he touch you?”

Rolling my eyes, I shake my head and look away.

“No, absolutely not. If he did, what would it matter? None of you give two shits about me. We were late coming home, so he shifted and I rode on his back. That’s why his scent was so strong. Don’t have a massive coronary on my account.”

No way in hell would I disclose our euphoric smooching session. If there is any veracity in what Xillon is claiming, as my defender, he would tear Dante apart. I don’t know if I can trust him as far as Dante's concerned. Wolves are dominant and possessive. Especially when their protective instincts are on full alert. I will need to be cautious while with Dante, as Cadance suggested.

Xillon traces my lupine ears with his fingers, then massages my cheek and a burst of heat streamed through my body to my center, dampening my underwear once more.

“You are so alluring, Annalise. I hope you understand that. Don’t grasp what the future holds, but I don’t mean to let you go anywhere. If you do, I will follow. Even if it means going to Scotland. You are at home here, Annalise. Things wouldn’t be the same around here if you were to leave.”

“I need to leave, Xillon. Jarek needs me. I’ll grant you an opportunity to demonstrate to me what you are saying is true. If you hurt me, I’ll rip your member from your body and shove it down your throat. Do you understand? I’m so worn out by all the nonsense.”

“I know. I’m sorry. I’ll follow you to Cadance’s to make sure you arrive safely.”

“Thank you.”

XILLON

She doesn’t believe a single word that comes from my mouth, and I don’t blame her. If I were her, I wouldn’t either. Acquiring her trust will be difficult, yet I’m prepared to do anything necessary to get it.

I have only two years to convince her to stay. Due to my status as the future Beta of the pack, I am not authorized to leave. I can’t let her make a liar out of me. Can hardly believe I said I’ll tag along with her. Come hell or high water, I would follow her, though. I would lose my wolf, but after everything I have done to her over the duration, that would be a small price to pay.

She had taken her contacts out. Thank the goddess for that. When I caressed her lupin ears with my fingertips, her gaze changed from blue to gold and held steady. A surge of electricity went straight to my cock and Xavier was prancing around like a horny canine wanting a piece.

The more I gazed into her eyes, the more I could detect an energy there. I attempted to figure out if it could be linked to her wolf. It’s almost as if there is something restraining her wolf. I know she must have one. Her ears and eyes demonstrate that her wolf is hiding within.

‘Can you recognize her wolf, Xavier?’

‘Vaguely, but there’s an entity beyond her wolf. I am unable to tell you what it is.’

‘Hum. Okay. I’ll keep my mouth shut for now. I don’t want to alarm her.’

‘That would be best, yes.’

The silver glint in Annalise’s eyes as she challenges my masculinity leaves me with a wave of inexplicable emotions. The sound of Annalise’s voice shifted suddenly, and it was almost as if another person was talking through her. Then her voice returned to its usual state and her gaze glinted blue as she spoke.

‘Say nothing. Keep your mouth shut. We don’t want to alarm her. Just act natural.’

Writer's Note

Hi there and thank you for reading. Let me know your thoughts on this chapter. I hope you're enjoying the book so far. Please don't forget to support my writing by voting ⭐. It would mean so much to me. Have a great day. 😘