Chapter 29.

Jax

I sat in Opie's truck as smoke filled my lungs. We'd been sitting in my driveway ever since I left Tara's apartment complex. The conversation hadn't changed, Opie thought I should take Tara's offer and I was against it. I made him swear not to bring it to the table before informing him of what she wanted, and he begrudgingly agreed. However, after finding out about her conditions Opie thought I was ridiculous for not having taken the offer.

He saw Tara's wanting to see Abel as a minor issue compared to the alternative of not taking her help. I didn't blame him for thinking this way, because the club was in danger with this RICO case hanging over us. And as Vice president, it was his job to make the hard decisions when I couldn't. But thankfully, vice president or not, his voice didn't extend past the table.

"Can you at least just think about the club for a second? Jax, we're out of options without Tara, and you don't want Ari to talk. I can't leave Donna and the kids again, Jax, I won't do that to her again!"

I remained silent as I tried to think of a way to ease his troubles, but he was right, we were out of options. However, there was no way I was going to make Arielle talk. I was going to protect her until the bitter end even if that meant that I'd lose everything in the process.

Ari had already been sacrificed for the club, and it was my decision that led her there. I was not going to go against her wishes again. I made a promise to her that I'd keep her and the kids safe, and I was going to keep that promise.

"Jax, are you listening to me?!" Opie snapped after being ignored.

"YES!" I yelled back, "YOU HAVEN'T STOPPED TALKING!"

"THEN SAY SOMETHING!"

I inhaled a deep breath and my whole body shook with anger as I tried to compose myself enough to reply to Opie. "I'm not going to let her see him Opie. I know you don't understand, and you hate my answer, but I just can't do it."

Opie searched my face and after a moment he softened. He took a while before he said anything, but when he did, he looked defeated. "We're stuck, aren't we?"

"I'll figure something else out Ope, just give me a chance," I pleaded.

Opie shook his head and held the bridge of his nose. It was only then that I finally was able to get out of the truck. It'd been a long day and both of us were exhausted. Continuing this conversation would only lead to more fighting and we would accomplish nothing by doing that.

Opie pulled out of the driveway as soon as I was out of his truck. I knew he was going to talk to Donna and see if she could make any sense out of this. But he knew as well as I did that if I were to betray Ari again, there would be no family for me to go back to. Galindo's men were going to come after my family and my physical freedom would mean nothing to me without my old lady by my side.

As dedicated as Opie was to SAMCRO, he would never sacrifice Donna or his kids for the club. I mean sure he was mad about my decision now, but I know that he understands. Opie's my brother, we grew up together, and he's my best friend. If anyone knew how I felt, it'd be him.

That's why this decision was so hard for me because as much as I wanted to protect my wife and kids, I didn't want to see my brothers go down. This whole cartel thing would have never happened if I didn't back up Clay. I should have said no from the beginning, but I was so blinded by my desires that I didn't see the bigger picture. Now, it was too late, and the whole club would be in trouble if someone didn't do something.

I stared at the doorknob before opening it and walking inside. The house was lit, and I heard soft laughter coming from Abel's room. Curiously, I walked over to see what was happening, and I'm glad I did, because inside was the most heartwarming scene.

Ari was reading Abel a story with full production as he laughed and giggled at his mother. Meanwhile, Olivia was half asleep in her chair while being woken up every few seconds by her mother's sound effects. Ari looked so happy in that moment spending time with our kids, and somehow seeing them solidified everything I was feeling. I couldn't betray my family again. I couldn't betray Arielle again. Not now, not ever.

"Mind if I join?" I asked as I walked into the room. Ari's face lit up when she saw me, and she walked over to plant a kiss on my lips. I held her close so that it would linger so that I could escape this world for only just a moment.

"What's the matter, baby?" she asked softly as she caressed my face. I chuckled; she could always if something was bothering me.

"Nothing, I just missed you today," I smiled down at her as her smile returned to her face. "Oh, well on that note," her voice lowered, "Why don't we put the kids to bed, and you can show me how much you missed me."

My eyebrows rose and I winked at Ari before leaving her to pick up Olivia. She was almost gone when I picked her up to take her to her nursery, and she was completely asleep when I laid her down in her crib. She was beginning to look more like her mother, and it warmed my heart to know that no matter what, my baby girl would be safe.

I gave her one last glance before turning on her nightlight and disappearing out the door to join her mother. Ari was standing outside the door waiting for me and practically jumped in my arms when I was close. She squealed and laughed when I picked her up, threw her over my shoulder, and ran down the hall to our bedroom.

I threw us on the bed and hovered over her as she kissed me. Her hands immediately made their way to my hair as mine did hers, and we tossed and turned like two teenagers who'd finally got some time alone together.

However, as I pulled away from her, all I could do was stare at her sweet face. "You know I love you right?"

"Yes," Ari said skeptically, "Why?"

"No reason, I just thought you should know that no matter what happens, I love you."

"Jax, you're scaring me," Ari looked alarmed, but I kissed her lips to calm her. "It's okay baby, I know this whole thing is a mess right now but know that I won't ever break another promise to you. Okay?" Ari nodded her head softly, but I could tell that the way I was talking was freaking her out. So, instead of changing the subject, I made love to her. I held her close; I kissed her tenderly. I treated her with the love and care that I should have had years ago because she deserved that and more.

I was done sacrificing my family for the club. I was done letting some CIA nutjobs threaten SAMCRO. I'm done wondering who's going to die next. All that ends here, all that ends with me.