Chapter One

Trigger Warning ⚠️ Bullying  and Verbal Abuse

JAREK

"Stop being a pussy and climb down from the tree, Silver," I howled, my voice echoing through the forest. The bark of the tree felt rough against my palm as I pounded it, wishing it was her face. The scent of pine and damp earth filled my nostrils, and I could hear the rustling of leaves as Silver shifted her weight above me.

"You are a wolf, not a feline," I yelled, my frustration mounting. The image of her cowering in the tree, refusing to budge, made my blood boil. Silver was flawed and had been since birth.

The pack will rely on me to lead them in the future, and I couldn't afford to have a weak link. So I barked at her again, my words harsh and unforgiving. "Get down here now, Silver."

"You want me?" she taunts, her voice ringing out sharply in the early evening air. "Climb right on up here and retrieve me," she continues, her words daring and provocative. The rough bark of the tree she's perched on digs into her back, but she ignores the discomfort, her eyes fixed on me. "Or are you too scared, Jarek?"

"Fine! I hope you rot up there!" I yelled, my voice echoing through the dark forest. The setting sun cast eerie shadows on the trees. The sound of my heartbeat thumped loudly in my chest as I clenched my fists in frustration.

"You are an ugly freak of nature!" I continued, my eyes fixed on the treetops where my adopted sister Silver dangled precariously. The branches rustled softly in the wind, and I could hear the faint sound of the earth rustling underfoot as I shifted my weight.

"You are weak and don't belong in this pack!" I snarled, my teeth bared in anger. The scent of my fear mingled with the damp forest air, and I could feel my heart racing as I imagined the worst.

"No one would miss you!" I shouted, my voice rising in volume. The impending darkness seemed to press in on me, and I could feel the weight of the pack's expectations on my shoulders.

"I am the one destined to lead this pack in the future!" I declared, my chest swelling with pride. The scent of my arrogance was almost overpowering, and I could feel the warmth of anger spreading through my body.

"Nothing scares me!" I boasted, but the truth was I was terrified. The thought of climbing up to save her filled me with dread, and I could feel my hands shaking with fear.

"I absolutely won't go up there to save your ass!" I spat, my words echoing through the silent forest. The sound of my voice seemed to mock me, and I could feel the weight of my cowardice crushing me.

"I hope you slip and snap your neck," I muttered, my voice barely audible now.

The woman, whom I believe to be mentally unstable at the moment, has climbed the tallest tree in the forest to escape me. She's now clinging to the trunk with all her might, as if her life depends on it. As much as I'd like to leave her there, I know my father will beat me senseless if I don't bring her down.

As I stand there, unsure of what to do next, my loyal wolf companion, Trex, speaks up. "Fetch the fool," he growls, pacing back and forth in my mind. "I'll aid you." With his unwavering support, I feel a surge of confidence and determination. Together, we will face whatever challenge lies ahead.

As my claws emerge, my irises darken to a deep shade of gold. With a fierce roar, my canines emerge, and in an instant, he takes control. We soar up the tree with incredible speed. She doesn't resist or struggle. Instead, she clings to me tightly, burying her face in my neck and crying softly. Trex's love for Silver is boundless, but I have no such feelings for her.

"She's secure," I said confidently, before adding, "I'm assuming control, Trex."

"No way," he said firmly. "We're not doing anything until we make it back to the pack house. I won't allow you to lay a finger on her."