“Just what in the….” Anuj murmured confused, as the woman stepped past him to check the damage done to her car.

She turned to him then,clearly not pleased.

And they made eye contact.

Thump.

Now this was really strange. Why in the world was his heart going insane over a woman he had laid eyes on a mere seconds ago.

Of their own accord, he found his eyes moving up towards her partition. No sindoor. Then he traced his eyes to the necklace, clearly not a mangalsutra. Was she single?

“You should focus on the road when you are driving!” Anupama remarked, as she saw the well dressed man in front of her simply staring. Most probably at a loss for words.He had caused an accident, alright. Now she was just waiting to see, what sort of excuses he was going to come up with.

As Anuj heard Anupama speak, his heart did another thump and he came to realize the track of his thoughts. Why was he looking for her marital signs?! And being married didn’t necessarily require her to parade around like those bahus he would see on TV.God!!

Anuj cleared his throat as he found the woman waiting.

“I apologise. My thoughts were somewhere else and…I’m really sorry. Are you alright?”

Anupama who was ready to pick a fight, suddenly felt all frustration leave her body. Because the man had accepted his mistake.

“I am fine”, Anupama replied and looked as the man massaged his neck.

“Are you…Ok?” She asked then and as Anuj looked at her in confusion, she motioned towards his neck.

“Oh, yes…just a minor jerk.It’s my fault anyway”, Anuj answered and both fell quiet. Anuj couldn’t for the life of him place this feeling. He hadn’t been half awkward with all his potential marriage partners.

As Anuj found her glancing at her watch, he glanced at his own to realize that he was getting late for his meeting. 

“Excuse me!” He spoke as he quickly rushed to his car, and came back in a few seconds.

As he forwarded her the chit and the card, she looked at him confused.

“I am really sorry, but I’ve an important meeting to attend. I’m not trying to evade responsibility or anything, but regarding the repairs, would it be alright if we do that tomorrow. This is my personal number, so you can give me a call tomorrow and we can talk about the damage pay. And in case, you can’t reach me, this is my business card, just to assure you that I’m not running away”.

Gingerly, Anupama took the two and nodded, “I’ll take you on the offer then. I hope you will pick the call”.

Anuj nodded, “Absolutely.And thank you for being understanding”.

Anu smiled a bit and turned to leave. Anuj turned around too when he was called from behind. “Excuse me?”

“Ji?” He looked as the woman spoke, “Drive carefully! This is for your and for the safety of others too”.

“Sure”, Anuj smiled and watched as the woman finally entered her car and drove away.

“She was pretty”, Anuj spoke out loud and his heart jumped again. He chuckled amused, “Wow! You can’t be serious! Crushing at this age, wo bhi pehli nazar main! That too on someone you caused an accident! Not to mention, even if she did not look like it, she felt married”.

Who are you to judge?! The world can be full of eternal singles like you!

“Maybe she was not?” Anuj pondered and then as his phone started to ring, he bit his lips.

“Meeting!” And quickly he rushed inside his car, started it and drove away.

~*~*~*~*~

“Kya soch rahi hai?” Devika asked as she and Anupama were searching the internet for suitable vacancies for her.

“I was thinking about him… his voice was nice. And somehow he felt awfully familiar”.

Devika chuckled, “Your obsession with voice is seriously weird. But I’m happy at least it was a man. How was he?Handsome?”

Anupama tapped her cheeks as she closed her eyes to recall the encounter. A well fitted suit, a well groomed face and….pretty eyes.

“He was pretty, I think”, Anupama repliedand Devika started to laugh.

“Did you by chance crash your car with an actor or something? I mean, he was pretty and he looked familiar”.

Anupama shrugged, “Perhaps. Anyway,let’s focus on the work of finding me work”.

“Aye! Aye madam” Devika saluted and both got busy in their tasks

P.s- i wrote this long back but recently came to the realization that it was never posted on wattpad.