|Pehli Nazar|- Shot 1

[This story is set in a verse where anuj and anupama have never known each other, and Anupama has moved out of shah house post divorce.]

For the umpteenth time, she was glad that she had moved out. At least she didn’t have to undergo an interrogation every time she stepped out of the house. She was on her way to meet Devika now, as she was going to help her look for some decent jobs. The school teacher job wasn’t all that rewarding,so if there was a chance at a remotely higher pay, she was going to take it.

Anupama chuckled then. Once upon a time all she could think of was house, children, in-laws and husband. Now she was occupied searching opportunities to one up herself. Such a welcome change.

Anupama stopped her train of thoughts, as she spotted a speed breaker and slowed down her car. But once over the speed breaker, as her hands went to shift the gear, she was jerked forward as sound of something shattering reached her ears. Looking behind, she realized that someone had crashed their car into hers.

“Oh God!” Anupama sighed as she removed her seat belt and stepped out. People really needed to keep their eyes on the road!

~*~*~*~*~

They ended it with a handshake, and the woman walked out.The man followed soon after, however while the woman disappeared around the corner, the man walked over to the red Audi, turned his keys in the door and settled down, leaning his head back.

“Another dunce!”  He chuckled, shaking his head as he started the car and veered it out of the parking lot.

Anuj had a lot to think back on.There was a time when he used to dream of the perfect love but now he had stopped hoping. He was 39 now, still meeting girls his age and younger alike, on his mother’s insistence, but he failed to feel the connect he was looking for.Vibes, as the Gen Z called it, he was yet to find the one whose would match with his. There would be times when he would meet someone who could hold an intelligent conversation, or someone who shared his interest. In the end though, his heart never agreed.

He wasn’t per se dying to get married but yes, he did dream of having that one special person, just like his parents. But alas, now he was so tired even the thought of dating frustrated him.

“Way to feel miserable about yourself!” Anuj had just about groaned when he experienced a jerk and lurched forward.  Shocked, he looked in front to find that he had rammed his car into the car in front.

“Shit!” Unbuckling his belt,he quickly stepped out.

He approached the bumper to see that there were a few dents on it. Nothing too worrisome. The same however could not be said about the i10 whose left side tail light had been shattered and the trunk had buckled in a few inches.

Anuj peered to the side then, as he heard the sound of footsteps approaching, the sound of sandals precisely. His eyes went for the sandals first, as he trailed them upto a simple blue saree before he found the face of the woman approaching him.

Thump.

Instantly, his hands flew to his heart, as he blinked confused.

Her hair was braided to one side, while her neck was adorned by a simple necklace.

Thump.