Act 5E

But as she opened her fist to reveal medicines, he glanced at her from the corner of his eyes and pressed his lips. GK!!

Obliging,as he took his medicines, Anupama settled on the sofa by his side and stated,"Aapko panic attack hua tha".

"Hm"

"Kyun?"

"Vo toh aise h—

"Anuj!Be honest", as she cut him off, her tone terse, Anuj placed the empty glass onside table and looked straight ahead.

It starts now.

"I thought that after the mess I had put you into, you would probably break off...this friendship, and I couldn't bear that. Also, my guilt regarding that was immense so I wanted to leave your life for good but apparently...." Anuj laughed then as he added, "I couldn't bear that either...going away from you that is".

Anupama looked at him overwhelmed, "Aap mujhse...itna py..prem...kese...kese kar sakte hain?Mujh mein aisa hai kya?"

"Sab kuch", Anuj replied pat as he fixed her with his gaze brimming with love, "Sab kuch hai tum mein. Aur tum hi mera sab kuch ho"

As she lowered her gaze embarrassed, he looked away realizing that he was being too fierce. But wasn't that his only chance.

"I...love you Anupama. I always have and I always will. Ab jab baat saamne aa hi gayi hai, toh tumse chupaunga nahi, aur na hi chupa sakta hu. US gaya tha kyuki...kuch nahi bacha tha yahan, pehle mom dad aur fir tum....toh chala gaya. Aur 26 saal baad wapas bhi aaya, toh sirf tumhare liye. Devika had always known of my love for you and kept me informed about you throughout...."

Anuj paused a bit and looked at Anupama for her reaction while she looked back,smiling slightly, "I can imagine that. Even at the reunion, she was going on and on about me being your college cr..crush", she stammered at the end, and Anuj laughed.

"Crush that got crushed, as it usually is", Anuj acknowledged, trying to lighten the mood and continued, "Then I got to know that you were going through a harrowing divorce and I couldn't just stay still and hear about your suffering. I...was determined to help you from the shadows but for the first time in a long while,qismat mujh par meherban hui aur ek ke baad ek, hamare raste milte hi chale gaye. And I didn't have to do much to help you; I was merely the means while you wriggled your way through the murky waters and into the limelight. Trust me, I have always known of your pride and thus never once offered you something that you didn't earn".

She was teary eyed by now, thankful for Devika. She was the most amazing person she could ever meet. And she was thankful for this angel that kanha ji had bestowed her. This man had given her wings the platform they needed to unfurl and soar.

"I-I don't have words to express how grateful I am, Anuj. Up till now, I've always thought that no one cared; only I did. But to think that someone cared and so much at that, to know that there was someone who kept me in their memories and cherished me...I cannot express how happy I am to know that. Thank you...thank you so much. Main bhi kisi ke liye khaas hu,ye jaankar khushi hi nahi...apne upar mera bharosa bhi badh gaya hai".

He offered her the handkerchief as he heard her whimper. "Nahi Anu, tumhe kisi ke validation ki zaroorat nahi hai. Kisi aur ki nazar se nahi, khud ki nazar se apne aap ko dekho...tum khoobsurat ho, anmol ho".

She agreed as she clutched the hanky and took in a deep breath, "Divorce ko kuch hi time hua hai, and I've barely started to pick up the broken pieces of my self-respect and heart. Neither is it easy to forgive nor is it easier to forget. To look back on your life, and realize it is no longer yours, it hurts here", she pointed to her heart and carried on, "Uss rishte main agar kabhi sachai thi bhi, toh ab vo bhi jhooth lagti hai. Aksar sochti hu, ki kahin meri wo meethi yaadein bhi toh ek khwaab nhi hai. Vishwas nahi hota ab kisi par bhi".

She looked into Anuj's eyes, warmly,"Anuj, main aapke pyar ki izzat karti hu par badle main aapko pyaar nhi de paungi. Abhi, toh main khud apna dil samet rahi hu, aapko kya hi dungi", she chuckled sadly.

Anuj pressed his eyes tightly, as his heart was pierced. He had seen it coming but it didn't hurt any less.

He smiled still, "Tum apne aap se pyaar karo Anu . Itna hi kafi hoga"

She acquiesced, "I have no space for a new relationship in my life, as of now. Aage kya hoga, vo kise pata hai and so I won't give you false promises. But in this moment, you are the most precious person in my life after my family. That pedestal, on which I put love, is no more but there is another one, a bit more than friendship; some shy of love and that is the pedestal where you stand, Anuj".

Anuj was awestruck as Anupama opened her heart to him. He was wiping his cheeks now, his eyes wet as Anupama offered him his handkerchief back.

"Kya ye sab jaan ne ke baad bhi aap mere dost rahenge?"

She held out her palm in his direction and nodding between tears, Anuj put his hand in hers as they clasped each other's tightly.

"I will always be a part of your life, I promise".

"Forever"

"And ever"

Both laughed, feeling light as if they were floating.

"Vese— Anupama trailed as they let go of each other's hands, "-maa would be so shocked to know that the girl you cried for that night, was her daughter, who she had married off".

Confused, Anuj looked at her as she hinted, " Meri shaadi ke din..."

Eyes and mouth going agape in realization, Anuj hid his face in his palms while she laughed, "Oh no! God,No!! Mujhe bilkul bhi idea nhi tha apni surroundings ka uss din".

He whined then, "You should not have told me this! How will I face aunty now?"

Anupama shrugged mouthing "no secrets" making Anuj grin, amidst his complaints.

"Oh", she looked at her phone as the screen glowed, "Samar is calling, I will be right back".

He nodded and as she walked away, he leaned back feeling relaxed and drained at the same time. Thus he closed his eyes, a peaceful smile playing on his lips.

When Anupama came back 5 minutes later,she found Anuj asleep and smiled. Quietly, she put his dangling legs up on the sofa and put a pillow behind his back. Then she spread a blanket over him and removed his glasses gently, placing them on the side table.

She still had a few more documents to go through, so she picked up her bag and tiptoed her way out to the balcony, not before glancing in his direction one last time.

"Glad to have you back, Anuj".

And that's the end of my take of Anuj's confession. Till next update then!