Chapter 43

Like 30 minutes late publishing this...sorry. I forgot to set this chapter up to be autopublished.

*Grace's P.O.V*

Daddy has the audacity to sit me down right next to the water and yet he doesn't even let me in it. Instead he grabs my hands, giving me his best serious look. It's not nearly as effective as Mommy's but I wasn't going to tell him that...not right now at least.

"Grace, you can not get into the water. It may look fun but there are a ton of weeds in there that could very easily wrap around your legs while swimming. It is not safe. I'm being serious, Grace. If I see you even trying to get in the water, you will find yourself unable to sit for a month. I have no desire to explain why we both need a change of clothes to mommy and your heinie will answer for it if I do," Daddy warns and I nod my head after a moment, gulping slightly.

"Yes Daddy," I nod my head in response, letting him lead me down the dock while holding my hand. I stay right behind him, almost stepping onto his shoes. He doesn't seem to mind though so I hum to myself.

"Oh no, the dreaded humming has started," Daddy teases and I huff at his words. There had been a sort of unspoken rule in our family that whenever I started humming, it usually meant that I was going to be hyper and therefore, wouldn't be able to sit still.

"I just like humming," I sulk at his words. I was an angel at all times, it was hard for me to believe that there was a time that I wasn't an angel. If Daddy could think of one, it would probably be one that he made up in his mind.

"Yes and you like getting on daddy's nerves when you hum," Daddy states as he glances down at me. I roll my eyes, squealing when he lets go of my hand and flicks me in the arm.

"No bully me," I say as I cross my arms over my chest, pouting at him. He was such a mean daddy, I was so telling Mommy about his meanness.

"I did not bully you, you just take everything I do as a personal attack," Daddy says as he shakes his head. "If I leave you here with a fishing rod, you won't move right? I can trust you not to go running off?" he asks as he raises an eyebrow.

"No sir... yes sir" I say as I salute him, not sure what answer he wanted exactly, earning a soft chuckle from him. He hands me the fishing rod, slowly backing down the dock as he keeps his eyes on me. I roll my eyes as I turn to look at the water. I didn't know what Daddy was so worried about, there was a railing and it's not like I was going to climb through the railing to go swimming. I mean, I could easily do it but the thought barely crossed my mind...

I try to look for the fishies, seeing some ripples that are far out in the water. That must be the fishies! There was no way Daddy was going to be able to throw his line out far enough. I had seen him fish and he wasn't that good at it. I would never tell him that though because it would most definitely hurt his feelings and that would be a mean thing to do.

I stare down at the water, wondering how cold it would be if I just dipped one of my toes in. I want to take my...well Mommy's shoe off and dip my foot in but I think Daddy will be mad if I do that. I do so desperately want to though!

"What are you thinking about?" Daddy asks from behind me, making me spin around to look at him. I hadn't moved at all so he couldn't even be mad at me!

"Nothing," I say softly as I give him my best 'I'm innocent' smile.

"I know that look on your face Grace. When your nose wrinkles up and you're staring at nothing, you're definitely thinking about something. That something is usually followed up by a punishment too," Daddy says. I curse him for knowing me so well. It was so unfair, I was supposed to be able to keep some secrets from him.

"I wasn't looking at nothing, I was looking at the water," I argue, putting my hands on my hips like Mommy does sometimes. That makes him raise an eyebrow but he just shakes his head, a small sigh escaping him.

"I am going to have to start prying you away from your mother, you're getting to be just like her and believe me, one is enough," Daddy states and that makes me smile! I like being like Mommy, it was just so fun and it wasn't my fault that she was so fun to copy. Although I don't think I can be like Mommy when I am around her because I'll probably get in trouble somehow.

"Matias," I say in my best Mommy impression, bursting into a fit of giggles when Daddy's eyes widen.

"You should not be able to do that so well," Daddy says as he looks around, almost as if to make sure Mommy's not actually there. He could be over exaggerating but I thought he was telling the truth, which just makes it funnier.

"I learned from Mommy, so blame her" I shrug my shoulders as I hold out my fishing rod to him. He raises an eyebrow when I just stare at him, holding the rod out and shaking it slightly when he doesn't take it.

"Use your words sweetheart," Daddy says and I shake my head, keeping the fishing rod held out to him. He doesn't take it, instead focusing on putting a worm on his own fishing rod. I frown at him but I know I may have to use my words eventually or else he won't put the worm on for me. There was just no way I was putting the worm on by myself.

"Please put worm on, daddy... p'ease," I whine as he looks up at me. He sighs and takes the fishing rod, maybe so that I stop shaking it at him. I crouch down as I watch him put the worm on the hook, my nose wrinkling up as I see the slimy worm squirming around on the hook.

"Here," Daddy says as he hands me the fishing rod and I take it. I hold the end of the line right above the hook, staring at the worm with narrowed eyes. He doesn't look comfortable at all and I try to pet him to make him feel better. All I succeed in doing is getting my fingers slimy and nearly getting the fishing hook caught in my finger.

"Don't pet the worm while it's on the hook, Gracie," Daddy warns and I look at him with a pout.

"You hurt him," I say, making Daddy sigh as he takes the fishing rod and casts the line out for me.

"There he's fine now, worms love swimming," Daddy says as he goes back to messing with his fishing rod.

"Are you sure?" I ask suspiciously, earning a nod from Daddy.

"Okay," I shrug my shoulders as I hold the fishing rod, leaning against the railing. Daddy finally gets his line in the water, mainly because I kept reeling mine back in. I couldn't help the fact that I wanted to check on the worm and daddy had to cast it back out for me...

"Grace, leave your fishing rod alone," Daddy says as he pulls me away from the fishing rod, leaving it leaning against the railing. I pout at him, not believing that he would dare do that. I stomp my foot as I glare at him, sticking my tongue out when he looks at his fishing rod to check it out.

"Keep your tongue in your mouth," is all Daddy states and I huff as I tilt my head back to look at him. It's not my fault that he was so jealous of my ability to catch fish. I was probably so much better than him so he must be sabotaging me. That just had to be it!