Chapter 13

*Grace's P.O.V*

On my walk past my bedroom, I pause to look into it. It looks like it has been cleaned since I left, which I'm grateful for because it means I won't have to do it. I'd rather have to look for where everything has been placed than have a dirty room. I was supposed to have cleaned it before I left for this last semester and I had... by shoving everything under my bed or onto my bookshelf or my closet or a corner when all else failed... look, it got done, didn't it? By someone else... okay, by my mom but that still counts as done!

When I left, my books had all sort of been crammed onto the shelves but now they were actually sort of organized looking. I would have to look at them later, I decide, and totally not mess them up by taking out every single one and leaving them in random places in my room. I would absolutely never do such a thing. That's why my room is so clean and organized right now as proof!

As I continue to go down the hall, finished staring into my room, I step into the bathroom. I first notice that it's actually been repainted since I left which is sort of surprising. It's now a much brighter, light white color where before it was a sort of faded grayish white. It looks a lot better than it did before.

There's also a new shower curtain up now too. It's sort of white towards the bottom but it quickly fades into this bright pop of colors that is just a bunch of flowers that are on it. I figure Elena probably picked it out. It has her name all over it. I mean she just loves having bright colors all over the place. Most of the time it looks like a unicorn threw up on it for her to even consider liking it.

Although I do like bright colors, I'm far from being like Elena. I love bright colors on things but not when they are rainbow themed. That is when it becomes too much for me to even consider liking it. That said, I don't think anyone can like bright colors like Elena does. She keeps saying she is going to paint her house pink and I'm not sure whether she is joking or not but I think it would look cool so I'm not going to discourage her. The problem is what other colors besides pink is she going to use.

Putting my thoughts of Elena aside, I open the cabinets, getting out a towel and washcloth. I hang the towel up on the towel rack, setting my washcloth down on the edge of the bathtub. I start to undress, sliding my tights down and taking the scarf off of my hair. I pause when there is a knock on the door.

"Yes?" I say after a moment, my tone rather questioning.

"There has been a change of plans, dear. I found one of your old pajamas sets so you can just wear those instead. I also sent your father to get your clothes instead so I'll be here if you need anything. Once you are ready, yell for me, okay?" Mom asks and I suck in a deep breath with a small frown on my lips. She sent my dad instead? She hates changing plans. What happened on my way to the bathroom that made her change her mind?

"Okay, thanks." I tell her, distracted wondering if I should worry more about her deciding to stay.

"It's not 'okay, thanks', Grace... it's 'thank you for...'" Mom corrects me.

"Does that really matter right now, mom? I'm trying to shower and you are now keeping me from it because I shortened the thank you to thanks?" I tell her more than ask, hoping she will save the lecture for when we aren't talking through a door.

"You have turned into a little brat since you last visited, do you know that? But fine, enjoy your shower, baby. Remember to call for me when you are done." Mom says before I hear her start to walk away.

"No...that's not true, not true at all. I am totally not a brat!" I huff to no one since she already is out of earshot.

"You just can't understand how independent I am now," I state quite happily. I had grown to be rather independent since I left home for college. At least I liked to think so. My mom would obviously say otherwise but that doesn't mean I'm a brat!

"They might as well call me miss independent, I'm so independent!" I tell myself with a soft smile on my lips, making myself feel better.

Getting back to my prep for the shower, I start opening drawers, looking for what I needed. As I open the third drawer, it makes my face heat up as I realize what's still stocked inside it. I quickly shut the door, and glance around like someone could possibly be in here with me to see them. Feeling stupid for even looking, I open the drawer again and carefully inspect what's inside this time.

This drawer is of course still my pads drawer. No, not those pads but the pads I should have been wearing on the bus. Them being here wasn't my parents trying to be mean but I still didn't like being reminded of the fact that they keep a stock of the pads that I had worn when I was still struggling with night accidents. They had mainly been for when my bladder had surprised me and leaked so I could get away with just a pad but that hadn't happened in like...forever. Well maybe not forever but no one else needed to know that! No one but myself. These were kept just in case of emergency and I did wear them occasionally on my bad days but that again is my secret.

I pointedly ignored the third drawer once I found nothing useful so I opened the drawer above it. Inside is a shower cap and I take that out, setting it on the counter. I strip down, pick up my clothes and throw them near the dirty laundry hamper before I turn on the shower. I decide to pick them later because they are close enough to the hamper and out of the way over there.

I let the water heat up as I put on the shower cap before starting the shower. After a moment, I step into the shower and let the hot water hit my skin. I close my eyes as I just stand there for a little bit and enjoy the heat of the water as it runs down my body. After a few minutes of just standing there, I get my wash cloth and put soap on it. I scrub myself clean, humming to myself as I do so.

I manage to hum through a few songs before I'm done and I turn off the shower. I step out of the shower, standing on the bath mat as I grab the towel and dry myself off before I stare at the steamed up mirror, pausing to draw on it with my finger.

I just draw a smiley face on the top right corner of the mirror since I'm not an artist and it's all I have time for before it starts to fade. I have to lean onto the counter to accomplish it and I shiver at the cold feeling of the countertop against my stomach. Once I finish and step back, I admire my handiwork until my smiley completely fades away, then I get back to getting ready for this stupid nap.

I don't need a stupid nap. Although if I say that, I just know that I'll be told that just means I definitely do need a "stupid nap". Mr. Smiley face would be on my side but he couldn't stay long enough to tell anyone that. I huff at my thoughts confirming everything is indeed my mothers fault!

Why couldn't she just be happy to see me? I mean, her youngest daughter is finally home, safe and sound! Isn't of being happy, she punishes me. Life is so unfair and it's all her fault! Totally her fault and... maybe a little bit mine... fine, a lot mine but I can still at least blame her for my choices. She did raise me after all so it falls on her in the end.

"See? I was right! It was her fault all along and I definitely don't need no stupid nap!" I whisper to myself as I stifle a yawn. okay... maybe just a small nap is needed but that doesn't mean I should want to take one. They are stupid, after all, and pointless. So very pointless! I tell myself as I can't hold back a giant yawn...