29: full moon in taurus

Since arriving back to the academy, Nikolai and Serena have started to spend more time together. Instead of every few days, they would spend time together once a day. 

On a day when there were no classes, Nikolai sent an invite out to Serena, the letter flew in her view while she was taking a stroll outside and just as she took notice, she was teleported. Her clothes changed into a flowy white dress, and her hair pulled back a little bit with some flowers.

"Surprise."

Serena's senses came back to her and Nikolai was in her view with an innocent smile. Behind him was an all white gazebo surrounded with multiple kinds of flowers and a table set for 2.  

"Nikolai.... what's the smile for?"

"I smile for you. But, I wanted to have some time with you. Actually alone, just the 2 of us."

"And you set this all up? I thought that you hated bright colors."

"They take quite a bit to get used to. Still not my cup of tea though."

"There's the Nikolai that I know! I thought I was dreaming."

"It's all real, Rene." He took her hand gently.

Smoothly and softly, he led her to the table and pulled up her chair for her.

"Thank you. You're such a gentleman. Never would've thought that from you."

"There's more to me than you think. You just have to find out for yourself."

2 cups of coffee were in front of them. Both were full with black coffee. Serena took a sip and made a disgusted face.

"Is this black coffee?"

Nikolai took a sip and nodded.

"Where's the flavor? The substance? I need milk, and sugar! Blegh! It tastes like tears."

Nikolai rolled his eyes, snapped his fingers and a wide variety of milks and sugars appeared. 

"That was so predictable for you."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Serena grabbed a kettle full of milk and poured a hefty amount into her coffee, turning it from black to a soft brown. 

"I always figured you were somebody that makes their coffee 95% milk and sugar and 5% coffee. You always gave me that impression."

"Alright Mr. Zesty Cocktails, how about you explain yourself then?" Serena dumped a handful of sugar into her cup and stirred with a small teaspoon.

Nikolai was flabergasted and almost spat his coffee.

"Fine. You caught me. I grew up on black coffee, but I have the hugest sweet tooth ever. I could eat an entire cake if I wanted to. I have."

"Noted. I will bake you a cake. What kind do you like?"

"Do you even know how to bake?"

"Just follow a recipe and you're good to go."

Nikolai laughed.

"The best kind of food is the ones that don't follow a recipe. That's how you will win my heart."

"But, didn't I already?" Serena sipped her coffee and giggled.

Nikolai stayed silent.

"Between us, yes you have. I hate to admit it, but you got me."

Serena smirked.

"You will always have a soft spot for me. You're soooooo easy to read that it's comical!"

"Shhhhhh. It's between us."

They drank their coffee.

"You know, I'm actually the opposite of you. I never had a super super sweet tooth, but I love my coffee with plenty of milk and sugar. I know, I'm predictable. Isn't everyone?"

"Really?" Nikolai was in shock.

"Yep. Bet you weren't expecting that at all."

"No, I thought that all angels ate was angel's food cake and extremly white coffee."

"We eat more than that! Heaven has all sorts of food, we grew crops all year round. One thing that I know about the real world is many kinds of culinary delicacies. Most people were impressed that I knew about complex dishes. Yet, I don't know how to cook them myself."

"What stops you from this?"

"I don't know where to start. I was so used to having everything handed to me, that I feel selfish just asking for anything and even being given things too."

"I get that. It sucks too even when you're the strongest wizard and people give you everything and insane amounts of respect. You probably get overwhealmed and tired when people are like "It's the angel!" I relate to you as well, being the class perfect takes a toll on you. Constant spars and everybody asking me questions and even for homework as well. Many of them were woman and they wanted to improve their combat magic with me."

"That sounds kind of..... I don't know."

"You know me, I would never ever hit or hurt a woman. Everytime I had a sparring in a class, and they put me with a woman, I would ask for them to change my opponent. It's not right in my opinion."

"Quite commendable for you to admit that. It makes me feel more secure around you."

"Women go through enough already, and I see with you that there is so much more than the struggles you see on the outside. The inside as well is always in an internal battle."

"You seem quite well informed on this topic. How'd you get so knowledgeable?"

"I've been with you. We're both in a way learning how to live like a human. With me and you, battling some struggles that we're both afraid to admit on the outside. Being your soulmate means that our minds are intertwined. When you think of me, I think of you. If you ever hear me in your thoughts, then I can hear what you are thinking. Sometimes, it's funny."

"Hey! I should be saying that to you!"

Nikolai chuckled.

"What was it that you were thinking about the other day? Oh, right. You were in the library and you were thinking about having your own personal library."

"I do love my books."

"I know that you do. You get so cute when you get lost in a book."

"And yes, I haven't been reading before bed."

"You can if it makes you relax. I wouldn't mind getting lost in another story with you."

"Why is that?"

He took her right hand and brought it up to his lips. 

"I love being in any world with you, no matter the adventure. You are an interesting yet fascinating girl."

"Nikolai Alfred Reve... you're a fucking wild ride."

"That's what I adore about you. We both are interesting characters."

"And how we ended up together?"

"A mystery that only you and I know the answer to."