5: waning gibbous in cancer

They were soulmates.

It just doesn't make sense.

Serena was in her Fairytale and Literature lecture and doodling angels on her paper when a story was being read to the class.

Grimm's "Thousandfurs"

She loved the story ever since she was a young child, and for some reason, she dreamed about the story coming to life.

A girl who was in love with a king and had a dress of gold, silver, and moonlight.

It reminded her so much of Cinderella. Such a shame that she had to hide underneath layers and layers of furs.

She thought maybe she would be bestowed the same fate.

Finally, the class ended and she went down the hall to her next class. Down a floor of stairs and through a tower that ressembled the hollowness of what was underneath Rapuzel's tower.

As she walked down the final five steps, she stopped and saw a shadow-like figure. Nikolai was at the foot of the door, lost in a mystical creature book called "Finale Fantasia".

She continued walking down and just as she went down the last step, she bumped into Claudia.

"Serena! I thought that you didn't know this way!"

"Oh! I'm just exploring! There's so many secrets in every corner I walk into!"

Claudia giggled.

"That's what makes going to the academy fun!"

Serena's eyes started to focus on Nikolai, but she pretended to act dumb and whispered to Claudia.

"Do you know who he is?"

Claudia turned around.

"Oh, him."

Claudia signaled her to follow her through the door and they found a secluded spot in an empty tearoom.

"That is Nikolai Reve. A third year without a soulmate. He is an interesting character. Not too much of a talker, but he excels in magic. Top of his class and desired by many, mainly underclassman. Despite the attention, he would rather be secluded in a corner than be with people. It's bizzare that he still doesn't have a soulmate. Some say it's due to the fact that he's cursed."

"Cursed? How is that possible?"

"Look, there is no such thing as a perfect wizard or witch. The stronger the power, the more likely you will have the chance to be cursed. However, there is no solid proof that back that claim up, but wizards and witches with more power do face more battles."

"And I thought the battles were only in stories that I read."

Claudia took a breath.

"As much as it gets the blood rushing, I would never want to lose my life to a villain."

"It does sound scary, I would never want to get into a battle with anybody."

"Well, you might have to, I hate to admit it."

Serena sighed.

"It is because I'm an angel?"

Claudia nodded.

"No."

"Sadly, yes. You will have to have at least 1 battle to prove your strength."

Serena started playing with her wand and cast a spell on an empty pot that started to sprout strawberries.

"But, I don't want to use my magic for harm."

"You do know that everybody has a special skill? I don't know if I told you mine, but..."

Claudia stood up and with a wave of her wand, transformed the small tearoom into a landscape of hills and a blue sky.

"Wow." Serena started to spin and run through the hills.

"Easy there." Claudia chased after her.

This world felt so new, free and fresh. It was almost as if she was in a paradise where she could let all of her stresses go.

Claudia tackled her.

"I got you!"

The two of them fell on the ground and started laughing together.

Claudia snapped her fingers and soon, they were back in the tearoom.

"That is a cool talent."

"It is. My speciality is turning my scenery around me into whatever I want. Believe it or not, I use my speciality often. You know, sometimes, you got to stop and smell the roses."

"I agree!"

"What is yours?"

"I have a soothing presence and I can sing and speak in a calm manner to ease nerves. I did it all the time in heaven, mainly for babies and small children that were scared of what was going to happen to them."

Serena started to feel tears form.

Claudia instantly recoginized her mood and hugged her tightly.

"That must be tough to see all of those young souls go to heaven too soon. I can't imagine the pain."

"All my life, I've only been around people that never were alive, either immortal like me or people who have passed. Never ever been near a human before. But, I'm learning how to be actually alive and it's rough, for sure."

"If you ever need anybody to vent to, then I am here, Lizzie and Aubree are here too. Being alive has it's perks and its downfalls. It's what makes you human."

"Thank you, you know I'm still figuring out this "human" kind of thing, so jsut give me a heads up if there's something that I'm doing wrong."

By now, they were holding hands and giggling.

Until, a bell rung.

"Wait, what time is it?"

"1pm!"

They were shocked and instantly, used a basic teleportation spell and Serena was in her class in her seat.

The professor just yawned and Serena opened up her textbook and started reading.

All of a sudden, her mind started to faze out of class and into a dream like state. She was walking through an empty hall and at the end of the hall, is Nikolai.

Just as she passes him by without a word spoken, his eyes meet hers.

"Don't go."

A blur of magic comes between them and soon enough, his arms are wrapped around her waist and she stared into his dark eyes and soul.

It felt perfect, and yet it felt so strange at the same time. 

Suddenly, he takes her by the hand and to a balconey to where a broom was, a broom wide and long enough for the two of them.

"May I?" He asked.

"My pleasure."

He led her on and he got on too.

The sky was started to have the sun set, and they flew into the clouds together.

Serena was in awe of Nikolai being in such a focus. 

For a second, she looked at the world below her. So, this is what it felt like being in the clouds. She never realized how the world looked underneath her feet.

As of he trusted her, she laid her head on his shoulder and started watching the sun set and the last of the light fade into darkness.