Chapter 24: Our Last Night

Soap POV

After our night together, I found myself in his arms, resting next to each other. I've been awake for a minute now, feeling his hand on my chest. He's a quiet sleeper, no noise just laying still on his side. He might be on his side cause I'm here, being in the military you're taught to not turn your back to anyone, even when sleep.

Knowing that you trust me enough to allow yourself to be this vulnerable, makes me happy. You hear that? You make me happy. I smile, suddenly Simon takes his hand back, turning over. The world feels cold again, I turn over, seeing that he has his back to me.

You trust me, I snuggle up behind him, putting my arm under his. Feeling his heartbeat through his back, but also shaking. "Johnny..? Are you awake?" Simon asks, his voice quiet and trembling. "Mhm" I respond, kissing the nape of his neck, keeping my eyes closed, "Does knowing what I've done keep you up?" Simon asks.

I stay quiet for a moment, That's why you're awake, "No.." I respond, yawning after. I feel his heartbeats in his chest start to speed up, "Do.. They keep you up?" I ask. "No" Simon responds quickly, I let out a silent chuckle, staying quiet. "Hey Johnny?" Simon says, quietly. "Hm?" I respond, a moment goes by, "Simon?" I say.

"Do you ever worry that one day, everything that you've done will catch up to you?" Simon says, his voice trembles more than before. I open my eyes, shifting them slightly, thinking of what to say, "Is this what you think when you're alone?" I ask. I feel him take a big breath, "No" He responds. He takes my hand, intertwining his fingers with mine, pulling me closer.

With the back of my hand, I can feel his heart pumping harshly in his chest. Telling me that you don't mean to shut down my questions, but yet it's hard. I stay quiet, "Johnny?" Simon says, I let out a small sigh, "Yeah?" I respond. "Can I.. Face you?" he asks. I'm a little shocked by his request, by everything we've just done, I'm not sure facing me is anything bad. "Sure" I respond, he turns over, scooting down a bit, hugging me at my chest.

He puts his leg between mine, and his face in my chest, I softly chuckle. I start to rub the back of his head, closing my eyes back. "Is this alright?" Simon asks, his voice still quiet "It's alright" I respond. This is new, a softer side of himself that he otherwise wouldn't be capable of showing.

Proving to not only myself but to him, that our relationship is something more that neither of us thought it would evolve into. That between us, there's more than desire, there's adoration, passion, warmth, love... Love. RINGGG RINGG RING, the alarm sounds, I reach over Simon, grabbing his phone. 4:30am, I set it down, laying back in my position, I pat him "Simon, your alarm" I say.

He stays quiet, keeping his face buried in my chest, "Simo-" He pulls me closer to him. "Can we... Stay like this? Just for a few more minutes" He asks, another strange request. "What's the alarm for?" I ask, "...I'm being deployed tomorrow " He responds. I stay quiet for a moment, "Do you usually get up at four?" he shakes his head. "What do you have to do?" I ask, "Pack" he says.

I take a deep breath, putting my fingers through his hair, "Thirty more minutes" I say. The room goes back silent, Things between us feel different, more... Connected. I feel myself drifting back to sleep, "Hey.. Johnny?" Simon says, "Yeah?" I respond, half asleep. "Do you trust me?" He asks, I open my eyes, looking down at him, shocked that he's asked this.

I feel his hand behind me start to grip onto the sheet, he still has his head down, I grab his face making him look up at me. His cheeks wet, and his eyes filled with tears, You're crying... He sniffles, looking up at me. "Do you.. Trust me... Please.. Tell me you trust me.." Simon cries, trembling. I've never seen him in this state before, I smile softly at him, pulling his face in, kissing his tears.